SAAB 9-5 REAR SUSPENSION

I have a Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (year 2000) with 105k miles on the clock. Recently the rear wheels have started to float on fast road ripples, small ridges, shallow holes etc. which would suggest the shock adsorbers need replacement.

However, the rear shocks control the car well on larger bumbs, and do not allow any bounce if you push down the back of the car. This indicates that the shocks are controling large movements, but suggests they are not controling the small movements.

Could this be wear in the rubber attachment bushes rather than the shock absorber itself, or is it a manifestation of shock adsorber failure.

I should add that the floating became more noticeable after the dealer determined (during a standard service) that some of the rear suspension bushes required replacement. Also that replacement of these bushes (on the control arms) did not have any affect on the problem at all.

Hope someone out there can help.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

You are quite lucky having had the suspension survive this long! At this mileage you probably need to change both the bushes and the shock absorbers. I just did the same as you on an 75k mile MY2000. First having the bushes changed without any real improvement and a couple of weeks later changing the shock absorbers. In my case it was only the left absorber that caused the problem. You could feel it when driving with only one side over fast road ripples, where the rear end of the car tended to move right.

Reply to
th

I agree that they are likely worn out. 105K is a lot of miles. Put in a set of adjustable Koni's all around and you'll likely find that you've lost a lot more than you are feeling right now - and you will be very happy when done.

Wander can also be attributed to worn tires. Wide tires tend to wander when worn. Although it's usually more noticeable as a front end problem, it does tend to show up on ripples and bumps that give the tires a reason to wander. So, it could show up in the rear end.

Reply to
- Bob -

Thanks for that th - I will get the rear shocks changed. Could I ask whether you changed the front strut inserts at the same time, and if you didn't, whether you wish you had done so.

Martin

th wrote:

Reply to
Martin

Thanks Bob - You are probably right, and th seems to have had the same symptoms with resolution only by replacement of the shocks. Do you think that Koni's will be significantly better than the OE items, which I think are Billstein.

I agree with you about wander with partly worn tyres, but the problem here is definately float over ripples rather than following ridges or camber changes.

Martin

- Bob - wrote:

Reply to
Martin

They were worn-out already after 50k miles.

Reply to
th

The Koni's are significantly better. Amazingly, they make both the ride and the handling improve. That's an unusual combination. The only thing I don't know specifically about the ~95 and Koni adjustables is if they can be adjusted after install. On th eNG900/9~3 it's a 3 minute job to adjust all four corners.

I think you are right then. The other conditions do cause groove wander.

The only other thing I thought of was that your condition occurred right after the bushing replacement. It's probably a symptom of fresh bushings just accenting the shock problem - but it might be worth looking over the bushing work to make sure nothing is loose or wearing in wrong.

Reply to
- Bob -