Saab 9-5 safety

Hi all,

I read recently that the latest 9-5 model has been awarded 5 stars on the EuroNCAP test (like the 9-3 SS), however, I know the previous model had 4 stars. Does anyone know what the changes were to gain the extra star?

Thanks!

Reply to
Christian

Nope, the reason for the original 4 stars is the fact the 4 stars was maximum, when it was first tested. The change to 5-star ratings happened 3 years ago. More impotant than the EuroNCAP test, it the Swedish Folksam (insurrance-institure), which ranks REAL LIFE safety. They've investigated over 76.000 real accidents on the Swedish roads over the past 2 decades. They're conclusion: Saab 9-5 is the safest car that has ever driven the Swedish roads. See more here:

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

NCAP gave the 9-5 4 stars (which was a maximum back then) in 1998. But when they changed to 5-star ratings, the 9-5 still didn't get the full 5 stars because it had too few points (31 out of 35, I believe). For the model year

2004, the 9-5 gets a new seat belt warning system, which are rewarded one (or two) extra points. Therefore the 9-5 2004 now has got enough points to achieve 5 stars.

Petter Haver

Reply to
Petter A. Haver

Petter A. Haver wrote: :: NCAP gave the 9-5 4 stars (which was a maximum back then) in 1998. :: But when they changed to 5-star ratings, the 9-5 still didn't get :: the full 5 stars because it had too few points (31 out of 35, I

Still, the 9-5 passed the side-collision test back then, although it didn't have at side-airbag - now it has. Again, Folksam makes a much more accurate picture of the overall safety of the car, compared to some specific crashtests.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

The 9-5 always had sidebags, at least in the EU.

However, Saab claimed the 9-5 would pass all side-collision tests even without sidebags. Is that what you meant?

Petter

Reply to
Petter A. Haver

My 2000 9-5 Aero has side airbags. Back when side-impact airbags were new on cars. My friends didn't believe it until they said the "airbag" sign on the side of the seat. HA

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro