SAAB INFO WEBSITE

If anyone needs a great website with all the info you could want about Saabs, check www.saabnet.com It has the answers to most all questions plus a great bulletin board.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Please be aware that many answers posted in those bulletin boards are incorrect and are never corrected. They are never corrected because the moderation policies on that site has made several posters, with the correct answers, stop posting.
--
Gφran Larsson http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab /

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (Goran Larsson) writes:

While Saabnet.com is a great concept, the bulletin boards are censored and if you don't follow Scott's strict 'blinkering' board posting rules he blocks you from posting. I was blocked from posting on Saabnet because I set up my C900 Workshop website which contains online web-based forums, mailing lists, yahoo groups, etc. and stacks of reference material links which goes against 'Saabnet.com bulletin board posting policy', and the few posts I was able to get into the Saabnet.com C900 bulletin board all contained a link to my own website (since Scott's boards provide the facility to add a web link, etc. with each posting).
That's fine as it's Scott's call as to what he does with his site, but I don't condone the approach as he is basically forcing people to use his site and not go to alternatives (and there are plenty more besides the site I have set up).
The emails I exchanged with Scott were fairly terse and the tone seemed to be one of 'well if you do something which competes with Saabnet you will be blocked from posting'. If I was directly 'competing' I'd try to steal his commercial advertisers but I have a rule of not having any commercial advertising connected to my C900 Workshop site as the site is open to *everyone* with an interest in C900's, not just those people who Scott thinks are not trying to usurp visitors to his site.
All that aside, the best way to initially track down information for something you're not sure about is via Google and by asking here in this newsgroup. I've discovered a lot of other sites with chatrooms, bulletin boards, online forums, etc. which Saabnet doesn't have any info about through searching via Google for info on various Saab-related topics, usually with fairly good results. Some of those I've added to the links page on my C900 Workshop site, and almost all I have invited to join the Saab C900 Webring that I set up (though almost none have accepted the invitations - once again that's up to each website owner to decide to join or not).
Regards,
Craig.
PS. The other thing which bothers me about Saabnet is that Scott has a great photo gallery system going, but for the time I've known about his site he hasn't been accepting any new image submissions! No idea why. I just accept it and save up the pics I take of my Saab's and the work I'm doing on them for a time in the near future when I start creating my own Saab image galleries and (hopefully) get a public web-based Saab C900 pic gallery started.
--
Craig's Saab Page --> http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 Sydney, NSW Australia
Craig's C900 Workshop -- For all Saab 'Classic' 900 Enthusiasts world-wide!

In general, Scott's a fool.
Cheers!
Add pictures here
βœ–
James Onesios wrote:

Scott's got you pimping for him, has he?
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to request that this be removed as it conflicts with omnipotent infalability of this newsgroup, and the poster be banned for all eternity, and if he appeals or complains the ban should be extended ;)
--
"Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf"
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Can we ban everyone in the same subnet as his newshost, just to be sure?
Add pictures here
βœ–

*LOL*
Cheers!
Add pictures here
βœ–
in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 20/10/2004 10:10:

Hey bud! How's the new weapon of mass destruction? I must confess to having looked at a Nissan Silvia recently - one of the older twin turbo models. It was an auto though, but would still have been fun. I looked at one about four years ago, but bought a SAAB instead ... Something about gold wheels not going down too well for a guy like me in a place like I live ...
Speaking of BBs - there are several others out there, going by names as diverse as 900 Aero, SAAB Central, SAAB Scene, UK SAABs, etc. I find if I want to know something quickly and want a correct answer (short of rining my excellent mechanics, of course), I know where to make my post. If I want to share that advice, I can go to BBs :)
Paul
1989 900 Turbo S http://saab.go.dyndns.org /
Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

Nissan Silvia twin turbo with gold wheels? You (or the guy who put it together if such a thing indeed exists) are mixing at least three different cars here.
Kristian
Add pictures here
βœ–
I doubt you will be able to get this removed from the archives. For the most part this message would disappear from most news servers within a week. As long as we continue to reply to this thread, the origional message will stay alive.
Freedom of speach is a great freedom that comes with the ultimate power to ignore the speaker. I would rather have the freedom of speach and have to deal with a few posts that irritate me, as opposed to being censored.
Freedom of speach means you must give your opponent the opportunity to express his views. If you're not willing to do that, the you need to keep quiet too.
My 2 cents worth.
NIP
"Drive a liberal crazy, work hard and be happy!"
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:10:16 +0100, Sleeker GT Phwoar

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's a parody of the fact that the saabnet guy has a habit of bannination of people for no readily apparent reason. More than a couple of people here used to contribute a bunch over there, did something (or didn't do something) he didn't like, and he not only blocked their IP, but he removed all of their historical posts from the site. Further, he's not real good and/or careful at how to banninate by IP, because whole ISPs have been blocked in the past due to one person being on his shit-list.
Granted, he _does_ own the server and it's his choice to do so, but when I learned of that behavior I decided to spend my efforts and time here, where the whims of a dictatorial arbitrary decision-making process aren't going to erase what I have written. No point in spending effort on something that someone else might choose to erase for real or imagined offenses.
Dave Hinz
Add pictures here
βœ–
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Nobody In Particular at snipped-for-privacy@out.there.com wrote on 20/10/2004 20:00:

Indeed! The pleasure of having freedom to speak inherently contains the responsibility not to deny others their right to speak back. The guy in question owns his website and chooses to allow other people onto it - if you go to someone's barbeque, he has a right to kick you out. This guy, however, also archives *my* words - he's running a public firework display and I find that quite distasteful that he kicks people out without reason or explanantion.
Other BBs ... Oh, and Usenet, have a solid sense of internationalism and are quite capable of moderating themselves by good behaviour and a public telling off when people step over the line. I have seen someone breech one T&C quite badly on one BB, but he apologised and the affected people accepted the apology. He was allowed to stay on the board (after several affected people were contacted) ... He wasn't outright banned, but a level headed, adult consensus was reached. He was a "moderator" too and should have known better, but drink and high spirits can get the better of us all some times!!!
On a wider note, I find it quite uplifting that people from all over the world with different languages, cultures, experiences and expectations can come together on a BB or Usenet and discuss matters of common interest. I'm ashamed that as singular nations we cannot seem to do that.
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well said and I now understand the "banned" comment.
I blame the media for causing a split in our country. They fuel the fire that burns brightly and when they are caught with their hands in the cookie jar, they first deny it, then apologize in a manner that smells worse than the original story.
When all you see is bad news, you need to suspect the bias of those reporting the news. I'm an optimist, I believe things will be better tomorrow than they were today. I refuse to swing my vote to a candidate who has a platform based on fear and what "might" happen.
This election is just plain nasty. You want to talk about disenfranchised, I hate turning on the TV because it's one side bad mouthing the other - they are both guilty! It's unfortunate that we have no real "choice" to base our vote on. It's either the status quo or vote for a change, which is not much better than the status quo! I want to vote FOR someone not AGAINST someone!
People who are basing their vote entirely along party lines, based on reports from the one sided media, or a hate filled statement by an actor, they are uninformed voters. Voters owe it to themselves to research the truth, never trust what you read in the newspaper or see on TV, verify it before you claim it's true.
I'll step off the soapbox now - sorry group, I needed to vent.
I'm still looking for a front driver's side fender and driver's door.
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:16:46 GMT, Paul Halliday

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yay.
Er, What? It's a case of a guy being too heavy-handed in his editorial process, nothing more.

Um, OK, so does that mean you'll be on Saabnet or here, or both, or neither?

Yup. But Kerry lies too much like Clinton did, so I'm voting against him. Particularly since his lies on a topic I feel is important are so similar to Clinton's lies on the same topic.

Understood.
Which side of the car do you sit in while driving, please? I have a driver's door for a c900 in my barn in Wisconsin, good shape, that nice dark metallic blue. In our part of the world we sit on the left side while driving, if that helps.
Dave Hinz
Add pictures here
βœ–
in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 20/10/2004 21:28:

He's one of you lot, I'm sure of that! Unless we're having an election and I missed it? :)
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wot, you mean you Brits have a different gummint than we do? First you corrupt the English language, and now you won't even participate in the Democratic process? Why, in my day.... (grumble mumble)
Add pictures here
βœ–
in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 20/10/2004 21:56:

I'm still waiting for dictionary.com to send me that as my word for the day via RSS! It sounds to be of some Erin extraction - perhaps you should be voting for the other guy :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

The connotation is of a semi-literate anti-government back woods type. Not sure of the linguistic origins, but it sounds southern-US'ish when spoken. Think hillbilly, if that means anything at all.
Say, how's the Queen? Tell ER I said "hey" next time you see her, wouldja?
Thanks awfully, Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave ...
Take I94 into I65 and go all the way to the end. Go west from there about 35 miles and you're where I am!
While we may not always drive in the right lane, we do still sit on the left hand side of the car!!
Contact me at jwmort(at)yahoo.com and we'll discuss the door.
Many thanks!
I should be placed in a drug induced coma until Jan 2005 - maybe all this will be over by then!
Thank God for compact disk players and Sirrus Radio!
NIP

Add pictures here
βœ–