Shortage of UK '04 Linear 9-5s

My local Saab dealer (here in the UK, NB) says they are having a hard time tracking down a (deep breath) 2004-year (ie, new) Linear 9-5 petrol 2.0-t saloon for me, partly owing to this being the start of 2004 Year, with all of the mad rushing about that implies, but also (they say) because most people seem to prefer the next-up model (Arc?).

It's likely they are not spinning me a yarn, if only because they know I either buy within the scope of the "register it before the end of September" GBP1000 freebie from Saab-UK, or (for practical reasons) I must wait until the end of the 03-04 winter. But this seems to apply to the entire UK, even counting-in a fabled Saab- dump near York(?) to which imported vehicles go first (presumably to have the snow swept off their boots then learn how to survive on UK roads).

Anyone know the truth of this shortage? (FWIW, I _have_ thought about whether the Arc would suit me; and the answer was "no".)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

The model year 2004 cars were shown to the public this weekend here in Sweden. The production started just recently, just after the end of the summer vacations, and it can't have been going on for more than three or four weeks now. It will take some time to fill up the world- wide dealer network with all models.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Aha, thanks. The salesdroid at the dealer sounded embarrassed at not even having a car for a test drive. Makes one wonder why the Saab-UK special offer was set to end with September. In the case of the 9-5, I understand very few changes are being made, so a 03 car will be pretty much the same as a 04.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Because the dealerships still have sell a certain umber of cars from each model year to meet there targets.

In this case Saab UK have assisted with the freebie package.

Looks like they failed to notice how much more popular Saabs have become again, in recent years.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

[...]

I notice quite a few 9-5's on the road now. How is this model different from a '03 Linear 9-5 ?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Linear is unchanged IIRC, even to the price. Arc gets decorative bits. Basic car the same.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

One big change is that the V6 is gone. It has been replaced by a 220hp version of the 250hp Aero engine.

Is the UK market like the US market where the trim level (Linear, Arc, Vector, or Aero) also determines the engine, or like the Swedish market where you can mix and match almost any combination? For the US market the Arc lost its V6 engine and will be now have the 220hp "Aero" engine.

Reply to
Goran Larsson