Re: BMW UK threatens Dealers

What I found strange was that last year on this ng, I read British

> participants, it might even have been you, saying the demand for the new > cars was so bad that dealers were heavily discounting them. Yet this article

That's really for the new 5 and 7 series. Other models are selling well.

It's interesting to note that values of used 6 series are really taking a dive though. Normally a year old "new model" like that would be worth more than a brand new car to those eager to avoid the waiting list.

Reply to
John Burns

Yup. Although my *impression* is that 5 Series sales have picked up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's maybe even more strange that a model with dropping resale prices after one year, has a waiting list for new builds. That is not the relationship that generally exists between new and used cars, their prices, and their availability. Something there isn't right. As is the assumption that BMW could make 50+% gains without the 5 selling well, let alone being heavily discounted because no one wants one.

I haven't been able to find a site that specifically follows or reports BMW GB sales. Could you point me to the one you used to see the failing 5 and 7 series sales last year. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Daniel Arrepas

Best I have found is the SMMT website

At the bottom of each month's summary is a link to download a report.

Unfortunately there's no breakdown by model.

The Licensing Centre (DVLA) does not publish any data, as opposed to the German authorities, from whom model detail is available.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks Dori, someone from the ng kindly sent these to me:

The station wagons (Touring) aren't a big deal in the US so they don't do much for increasing sales when available or decreasing sales when not. But apparently in the UK that is a desired option, so it doesn't seem too surprising that the year without the Touring would be a lesser year than the year the Touring became available. But in either case both years were better than the 2002 e39 year.

According to these two UK reports, in terms of 5 series, 2004 (e60) was much better (+27%) than 2003 (e60), which was better (+2%) than 2002 (e39). I don't see where BMW was under any sales duress to drastically cut prices on the e60 5 series in either 2003 or 2004.

I don't know what to think. When it comes to these new designs, people's emotions are so torn I find it very hard to take anybody's word at face value anymore. I don't think they are untruthful, I just think their perspectives are so strongly skewed that all possibilities of close-to-objective comment have seemingly vaporized.

Reply to
Daniel Arrepas

It wasn't, but I'll check. Have to go somewhere now.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The report I read did not give numbers outside the UK but a senior UK manager was quoted as saying "after the USA and Germany", so this could, indeed mean that the US is the biggest, i.e. confirming the Roundel data.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

A good friend of mine recently purchased a X (year 2000) 318i Estate for his missus and new baby on the basis of always wanting a bimmer, then driving my

1993 K reg 277K mile 525!

Make of that what you will!

They finally decided that their VW Golf V5, whilst powerful and more luxury than the BMW was not practical, and also build quailty of the BMW will last them till car is 10+ years old.

Paid about £8K for a SE spec will all the extra except leather - ex company car with 60K miles FBMWSH.

Jason R

Reply to
Dotcom Computers