Should we buy a 1999 9-5?

My lady must soon replace her car that was totaled by a drunken driver last week. We have found what appears to be a very clean 1999 9-5 sedan with automatic transmission at a good price. It handles well, sounds great, and everything seems to work. I and my family have had a number of 900s and 9000s since 1985 and I know most of their quirks but I know little about the 9-5s. I am also a little leery about buying the first year of a new model.

I would appreciate any comments about the reliability or peculiarities of the 1999 9-5 and what repairs to expect. It has 57,000 miles on it which by my standard means it is barely broken in.

Sincerely, R. Frist

1985 900T, 5sp, 281,000 miles 1994 9000CSE, Auto, 190,000 miles 1998 9000CSE, 5sp, 101,000 miles
Reply to
R. Frist

I bought a '99 9-5 about a year and 8 months ago and am very happy so far. Previously had a '90 9000, which I retired at about 190k. The 9-5 took a bit of getting used to, it feels a bit "softer", if you know what I mean. Only problems so far have been a bad rear shock absorber (replaced under warranty), and a small leak in the AC system (cost me about $100 for two o-rings and a recharge).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Reply to
Tom