SID - again

OK, so last year (June) I finally bit the bullet and went to the dealer to have them replace the SID in my 99 9-5, it was a mess. I moaned and groaned to Saaab about this being a systemic problem that they should take care of to no avail and finally paid the $500 plus to get the damned thign replaced.

It started going again two weeks ago. The line right down hte middle of hte F (in FM) goes off intermittently as well as a couple of columns. I thought that they had FIXED this?

Anyway, a trip to the dealer last week informed me that the SID was no longer in warranty as the warranty on replacement parts is 1year. The 1-800 saab people seem to be waiting for the dealer to say that they'll kick in beofre they make any decision on the replacement. Sicne we have only ONE saab dealer in Rochester, I doubt that I have a whole lot of leverage.

Damned it, this is a systemic failure on these devices, hundreds of people have complained about it over the years. One would have thought that they would have figured this out and fixed this in any replacements that went into cars, but NOOOOO.

ideas?

Reply to
Bill Jackson

I guess not, in my 2002 9-5 the SID is going, too, missing some pixels. Still have warranty. But you're right, Sabb should have fixed this problem since this defective item is installed in just a bout every car they sell. Get a lawyer and go after them

Reply to
Molly B Denum

I've had the SID exchanged under warranty in my '02 as well. This is indeed a widespread issue. It just doesn't seem to be so hard to get a long-lived display together, it is mistifying that they're struggling with this still. I got an extended warranty, and will strangle them if they dare claim that the SID is not covered when it invariably starts losing pixels again. Dammit, Saab, this is a stupid issue to still be around...

...pablo

Reply to
pablo
[snip]

I'm pretty sure it's the stereo that needs the car rather than the other way around. The car will still work perfectly happily without the stereo, so there's nothing to stop you taking out the original stereo so your still-married car can have a bit of a fling with a floozy of an aftermarket head-unit.

The only problem is mechanically fitting the new unit in the non-DIN slot in the dash. I think you can get a mounting kit though.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Oh the horror of it... promiscuous audio in a SAAB?

Undoubtedly this is further evidence of the GM influence.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Mine after 2+ years is beginning to think of failing. I spotted 3 pixels off on Saturday but they were right as rain when I restarted the engine later.

Serious Q for GB Saabers: could a few calm but strongly worded letters in vain to Saab UK be used in a small claims court? Typically companies fold right before the case is heard in case it leads to a precedent. Might be worthwhile path to follow (mine is still under initial 3yr warranty so I'm kinda praying for a definite failure before 15 Dec, or that it stays working 100% but I sympathize with victims of what is poor design and poorer cust satisfaction). Maybe there is a USAian way to do this - anyone up for Peoples' Court :-)

Reply to
Colum Mylod

I agree. You start by experimenting with head units, speakers and amps. And before you know it, you're playing with high performance exhausts, engine management systems and locking yourself in the bathroom with alloy wheel catalogues... GM have ruined Saab's fine reputation. No wonder they've become the car of choice for swingers...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

if your s is under warranty now, take it in and tell them it's intermittent while it's under warranty. Even if they don't see it, it'll be on record as an issue.

that way, if 6-months down the road the pixels never come back, you can refer back to the first time you took it in.

Does anyone happen to have the old positngs from this group? There have been numerous SID postings, but our news server here seems to let this stuff drop off the table after a while.

Reply to
Bill Jackson