SID units

OK, I've been doing internet research...looks like the SID units have a history of failure. Mine, 1997 SE Turbo, convertible. Pixels coming/going. What's the answer?

Matt

Reply to
Emmy Dubbs

Replacement or you can try disassembly and repair. Some have claimed (temporary or limited) success.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

We plugged in one those electronic air cleaners in a car. The SID started to fade out. We thought we were in for a replacement. Then we notice the problem started when the electronic device was plugged in. Guess what happened when we unplugged the air cleaner? If you have any aftermarket electronic device plugged into a power outlet near the SID, consider this a possibility before you replace the SID. I don't know if a cell phone can cause problems with a SID, but my Nextel Motorola will drive any speaker/telephone system crazy.

Reply to
ma_twain

Good job. All SID's are all junk. Saab prides itself on this. Saab doesn't care even though the must know of this defect in ALL their cars. My next car will be Japanese.

Reply to
arkovsky

I've tried repairing mine but I lost even more of the pixels.

Reply to
arkovsky

The problem is due to bad contact between the thin wire strip and the conductive glass, something that is hard to fix.

Reply to
arkovsky

Are you claiming that the current SIDs have the same problem, and that the repair units aren't actually the new design? Can you provide evidence to, you know, back that up?

Have fun with that.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, I've had the Japanese cars too and they are no better. So far, the SAAB is really cool. Seems like a lot of rage going on there...you might want to get that looked at.

Matt

Reply to
Emmy Dubbs

I guess you are not any good at SID repair then. Better buy a Honda.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

We had an Accord for a while. That was a truly loathesome experience. It was slow, underpowered (it was a 2 litre!!), no fun to drive, and even less fun to work on. Parts prices made Saab parts look free (e.g. Thermo fan switch - Saab 900/9000: £3.60. Accord: £56).

All in all, it was by far the worst car I've ever owned (and I've owned a Vauxhall Viva and a Citroen GS!!). It never broke down on us though, even when the fan switch went.

Reply to
Grunff

OK - so $450-550 usd to buy then another couple hundred to have "calibrated" by the dealer. Guess we the SID readout as is and call it "character".

Matt

Reply to
Emmy Dubbs

It's a flawed design...

I finally got sick of mine and took it into work where we disassembled it. At the heart of the issue is the flex coming from the main controller board to the display unit. The flex is "hot bar" soldered into place on the edge of the board, but because of the very sharp turn, there is considerable stress on the flex.

What happens is that the flex delaminates, with the pads that are soldered to the main board coming off the flex. In the end, the stress and probably thermal expansion cause the very fine traces that come through the flex to disconnect from the pads. If all you have wrong is the pads delaminating from the flex you can apply pressure (like in the fixes you find on the net) and it'll hold them down. But if you are unlucky to have had the traces break from the pads, you're out of luck there is really nothing you can do.

A couple of guys at work and I took the thing apart and looked at the flex under one of our microscopes used for fixing surface mount components. It's very clear what happened and why it went wrong.

Unfortunately, Saab wont' step up to the plate and fix this systemic failure. I had mine (99 9-5) replaced last year, it's about $400 for the whole deal (remember, it has to be programmed with the TECH-II to make it work properly so buying a used one may or may not work depending what car it came from) I wrote a letter to Saab about it, they told me that hte ony way that they'd talk to me aobut it was if it was at a dealer getting repaired, they and the dealer may choose to do something

read that, if you spend a lot at your dealer, get your car fixed there all the time, bought the car there and maybe another one, the dealer may kick in with Saab to make it right. If you must moved in from out of town and bought hte car used in the first place, forget it.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

I'm finding the same experience with the GT4. Boost is limited in 1st and 2nd, and even when full boost is available=20 it is limited to 7PSI.

Surely with a 2 litre rally bred 4x4, they could have given it a little=20 more grunt to start with?

Somehow it makes 200BHP from less boost though.

Parts being pricey. Oh yeah, I know that. Thermostat from main dealer=20 =A322.50. Replacement Toyota windscreen wipers, =A350 including the special= =20 screw fitting adaptor, Halford =A318 with the adaptor, Bosch =A323 with the= =20 adaptor included. In the end it's worked out cheaper to by KYB (what=20 Toyota brand as their own) and TRD (Toyota Race Developments) branded=20 parts from performance Toyota independants than normal Toyota branded=20 standard spec parts from a dealer.

For the ST205 (next model on), there is a weird figure of 8 drop links,=20 and "Superstrut" suspension. Parts to replace the figure of 8's on both=20 sides normally comes to =A3700+ and then you have to add VAT and labour.=20 Even from an independant, the Superstrut suspension tends to add about=20 =A3300-800 onto the price compared to my ST185, because the casings to=20 build struts are only available from Toyota, new. Buying parts from a dealer

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

The things that hurt with Saabs is the Saab only parts. Generic parts (like Bosch ignition/injection, various electronics etc.) are cheap, but try buying a piece of interior plastic new - ouch.

Reply to
Grunff