Sonett III "Quickie"

Heads up Hinz ...

I've just been reading an article about the Sonett III and in the pictures, I noticed a lever to pull that lifts the pop-up lights. How do you get them down again? Do you just push the lever again or what?

Inquiring minds need to know ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

"Paul Halliday" skrev i meddelandet news:BBB0D2AC.A8E3% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk...

Yes. Pull - lights up and on. Push - lights down and off. No fancy electronics! :-)

When you drive over 160 kilometres/hour the lights pop up. Its called "the Speed of light". It must be some airpressure under the lights that give this effect. I think Saab didn´t had this effect in mind constructing the Sonett.

/B Sonett III 1973 V4 Rally 1968

9000 CSE 1996
Reply to
Blacksmith

or air pressure\vacuum =20

My lights pop up when I go over a speed bump too fast, never tried 'the = Speed of Light'...

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

Hrrm? Wazzat? (mumble mumble) Damn youngsters waking a fellow up from his nap...sheesh

Yup. It's a strictly mechanical device - pull up to a certain point and you're pulling against the springs, pass the pivot point and the springs are working with you. Down is opposite of up; push in on the lever and down they go. Electrically, there's a microswitch which is activated by the mechanical pushrod, with a ramp-shape on it actuating the switch.

Buying a Sonett are you? I *really* need to get that on the road next summer...it's a freaking blast to drive.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah. Have you been able to get the Sonett III airframe over 108 MPH? Seems to be the aerodynamic limit of the car, in my experience; lift and weight balanced out there. (disclaimer: on a closed course, of course).

What mods do you have in your Sonett engines? I don't have anything more aggressive than a dual-webber with 3/4 race cam setup, which isn't in the car at the moment.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article bSEib.5512$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net, Blacksmith at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 13/10/03 10:32 pm:

Ah! Thanks. I thought it must be mechanical, but wondered how they went down again. I envisaged a release system much like the bonnet release to pop the lights up.

That's just cool. I hear Triumphs had a similar problem. Did the light housings fill up with water like Triumphs?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

in article bmfqcr$lu6f5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-134476.news.uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 14/10/03 4:26 am:

I'd love one, but they're sooo rare in the UK. It'd likely be a US import if I was to get one. I think a Triumph GT6 would be what I'd end up with if I was in the market for "that kind of sports car".

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday