Suggestions for C900T oil change

I have been driving and changing oil in C900 Turbos since 1994. They recommend disabling the ignition and cranking the engine until the oil pressure comes up before enabling the engine to start in order to prevent damaging the turbo. It seems to take quite a while to get that pressure up, but it is not unbearable.

Last oil change before today was on my Dodge Cummins TD pickup (11 qts!). They recommend filling the oil filter before installing it. Maybe because diesels don't have an ignition to disable!

So today I tried that "old Indian trick" on my wife's 93 900T ragtop.

Normally, you unplug the distributor hall effect connector and crank until the oil light goes out, then reconnect it and start the engine. Oil light never came on. Worked like a charm.

Futhermore, after filling the filter and putting exactly 4 qts in the crankase, the dipstick read exactly full!

I highly recommend it!

Charles

Reply to
Charles

... remove the fuse for the fuel pump another option?

Reply to
Charles C.

No. Assuming everything's in good order, the fuel rail will still be pressurised from the last time the car ran, so it'll still start, and run for a few seconds.

Cheers,

Coin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Who are they? I have been changing oil in Saab turbos since 1985 and never heard of such a thing. Its hard to image any damage being done to a cold turbo that will be barely turning in the five seconds or less that an idling engine takes to reach operating oil pressure after an oil change. I would be more concerned about the extra wear on the starter.

Reply to
R. Frist

That's assuming it's a 16V engine. 8-) It's simple enough to disconnect the HT lead to the distributor to completely disable the electrical side of the ignition.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

So you put unburned fuel down the exhaust ... what if there is a catalyst?

No idea if that model/time/region had catalytic converters.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.