sump plug washers

Having trouble finding one locally, and i need to do an oil change.

I've heard that they can be re-annealed? Do I do like in the old metal work classes.

Coat it in liquid soap then heat with a blow lamp until the soap has blackened, then quench?

I'm assuing the washer is copper rather than aluminium or steel?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They are copper, but I'm not sure how far you'll get with that method. Copper is soft, and remains soft. When you use a fresh washer, the copper deforms as you tighten up, making the seal.

You can get away with reusing the washer a few times, as long as you clean up the surface with fine emery paper. But every time you use it, it gets thinner and wider, so takes more force to squeeze next time.

Grunff's tip of the day: Screwfix sell multipacks of copper washers, which come in sooo handy.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Hmm, you got a part number for that, so I know to buy the right ones?

Must be so much cheaper.

BTW, copper work hards too, I've used it about 3 times. Doesn't look noticabley thinner, but does leak a little more each time.

Annealing it softens it a little, so allows it's re-use, so you don't need so much pressure to get a seal.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

18756

470 washers for £15

I thought that was very minor - hence copper cables? I dunno.

Reply to
Grunff

Oil changes every 3,000 miles with 470 washers = 1,410,000 miles.

I d> MeatballTurbo wrote:

Reply to
ma_twain

Reply to
ma_twain

Sounds reasonable :) Plus the 150,000 already on the clock makes almost 1.6M miles.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Well, couldn't say how stiff it was before, but I was able to bend and straighten it with my hands after.

If it carries on at this rate, I reckon two more changes before I need a new washer, then I'll order a pack like you bought.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

That's very true, but I do a lot of engineering, so fing those multipacks really useful. There's a whole range of mukltipacks, most of which I have on my shelf - O rings, split pins, R clips, circlips, etc. etc.

Reply to
Grunff