sump-plug trouble

I'm having trouble removing the sump plug from my wifes 1990 saab 9000 turbo. it simply will not turn. I use a spanner at first then moved to a socket, now I've been trying a grippy plumbers tool thing but it is just destroying the head of the bolt and won't turn the plug. Does anyone have any suggstions?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

You need a 6 point socket. If it's too late and you've rounded the plug too much, my favourite trick is to weld a steel bar onto it and turn.

Reply to
Grunff

Twas Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:46:41 +0100 when Grunff put finger to keyboard producing:

I tried a 6 point socket early on but it wouldn't budge, when I used a long bar it started the rounding.

I don't have any welding gear available sadly.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

You should consider bringing it somewhere that does before you get it really buggered up. I just can't imagine a drainplug being in so tight you can round the head with a 6 point socket unless the socket is crappy or the wrong size.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

You could always just throw money at the problem, and get one of these.

Assuming you can still get the dipstick out, of course ;o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yup, that would be my guess.

Reply to
Grunff

I've been using one to change my oil for the last 6 years. Great things.

Reply to
Grunff

I had a nasty problem like that not so long ago, and I ended up rounding off the head using a 12-pt socket and vise-grip pliers.

My solution: I picked up a set of Sears/Craftsman "Bolt-Out" sockets. Worked like a charm. I can't say enough good things about them. I think similar products are available from Irwin, and maybe other brands.

John

Reply to
John B

Twas Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:35:55 -0400 when "Fred W." put finger to keyboard producing:

The socket was 'CK' and good quality, and the right size, the effort I put into turning it, it doesn't surprise me it rounded off. I am wondering now if any welds I put onto the bolt head may also give as the turning force I've applied so far is massive. I will seriously consider trying it though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I seriously doubt it. If welded correctly, the new piece of metal becomes part of the plug. I have done this many times on many bolts.

Reply to
Grunff

I feel compelled to repeat my recommendation that you give the Craftsman Bolt-Out or similar tool a try. The harder you pull on it, the deeper it bites into the bolt head.

John

Reply to
John B

Twas Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:14:20 GMT when John B put finger to keyboard producing:

I shall see if any of my local tool places have one.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

If it's not a Sears, they won't have the Craftsman product line. As out of character as it is for me to say this, in this case, the Craftsman tool is decidedly better than any other option I've seen. You do _not_ want to use an easy-out on this, the wedging force will be in the wrong direction and endanger your casting.

About that - who put this bolt _in_? Was it done at a quickie-lube place or something? If so, I'd bet real money that they put it in with an impact wrench, which is extremely bad for not just sticking bolts, but also hard on the casting. If someone else put this in, maybe you could go in & explain _their_ problem to them and see how they fix it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Twas 17 Aug 2004 15:12:33 GMT when Dave Hinz put finger to keyboard producing:

I'm in the UK so tracking down the right tool may be tough. This is the first oil change since we bought the car so I have no idea who or where fitted the plug or what huge piece of overpowered machinery they used to fit it.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yeah, I have no idea whether those of you in the UK have Sears stores. Here is a link to the comparable Irwin tool:

Irwin tools seem to be available at a variety of locations...

... perhaps at least some off these have either stores or online ordering in the UK?

John

Reply to
John B