The Saab gods smiled on me.

While I was gettting a brake servo from the scrappies a couple of weeks ago, I "Liberated" a reverse light switch to replace what I though was the knackered one in my 900.

So with Circuit tester in hand yesterday, I checked the new one made good circuit.

Then I pulled the old one out. That made good curcuit too. Bugger. So what the hell, fit the new one anyway.

And magically, the drivers side reverse light worked straight away. Nothing on the passenger side though.

Took the cover off, pull the bulb, checked it with the tester. Good curcuit, and faint glow from the bulb with the 9v.

Checked the connectors in the socket no curcuit. Bugger. Pulled it out properly, and made sure it was all grounded. Got a good curcuit. Put it back together, still good curcuit, added the bulb. Bulb wouldn't light.

Bugger. Still one is better than none.

Well bugger me, at dinner when I got back to work but both were working. Amazing.

I must have impressed the viking gods of Saab with my efforts and they rewareded me with a little helping hand.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

MeatballTurbo ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Excellent news! You've obviously proved yourself worthy to them, and things will start to go smoother now.

You should now offer thanks by going and offering a sacrifice to them. A backwards-baseball-cap NovaBoi should be about right.

Reply to
Adrian

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 17/11/2003 20:13:

Good news. I hope your "karma" is coming round now. Well, it is. My gearbox is whining. My turn now ... Thanks :)

Paul ^Not too bothered about the box. Only the turbo can go now :)

Reply to
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Yep. I try to do that regularly. My current fave is 3rd gear acceleration from 30 coming off roundabout with Impreza Turbos in the inside lane.

Of course at 30 rd is nothing to right home about, because it is only about 1800-2000 rpm, and they want to pass you on the inside.

But with the cone filter, if you plant it at those revs, you get this huge induction roar intake of breath, the revs slowly climb to 2750, and then all hell breaks loose from about 40-45, until I braking at 70, having nipped back infront of them, for the next rounabout that only has a single exit. They don't even have time to react as the engine not changes as the turbo spools with a whistle, and it goes from chugging along, to whiring like a demon. All I'm missing is some spitting flame on over-run on roundabouts and I'm sorted.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Sorry to pass it on mate. But at least you know yours only has mechanical things to go wrong as the insurance sorted the structure probs for you.

Apart from passing one MOT last year, I haven't got a clue other than what is obviously visible what is and isn't wrong with mine.

I might have spent all this time and money on stuff, and have it all hanging from a shell held together by rust.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You know I can sort that out for you ;-)

Reply to
**-**

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 17/11/2003 22:07:

I'm going for 9 lives. I think Orca has had a "write off" before. There's a bit of a tell tale bump on the OSF and no history :) I've had significant work done and the gearbox will be the "third life". With 6 more to go, she's gonna go on for years yet :)

A good garage with experience is soooo worthwhile. The rest, you just remember from your own experience and you're still a v'gin :) BTW, where's Grunff? He must be having a MUCH NEEDED holiday.

Yup, that's the C900. Like I said some time ago, it's all worth it - the C900 is one gorgeous car to own and a better car to drive. Once you've replaced everything that moves, it's time to start on the bodywork ... And if you leave it too long, you'll have to start on the moving parts again :)

Cheers bud,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Agree, I can remember when F900 was mint, a year of track work has taken its toll though. The paint whilst still very shiny is peppered with stone chips, front bumper is similar. Theres dents in the bootlid from it being pushed around the pits. The rear alloys are peppered with stone chips. Its always got the remnants of stickers, taped lights, camera mounts etc. hanging off it. The rear bumpers got a big dark burnt patch on it from the exhaust and you know what? I wouldn't have it anyother way. To me it looks better with the wheels brake dusted up, discs glowing, headlight cracked and steam pouring out from under the bonnet. It means its being enjoyed.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

MeatballTurbo ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, I mean *really* sacrifice one. There's enough that nobody will miss one.

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe you should check the electrical resistance from the bulb ground "shell" to a good clean chassis reference point. Sounds (to me) like a classic case of plenty of voltage, low amperage. This means high resistance in the circuit somewhere. I've seen switches that show low (correct) resistance with a multi-meter but fail to support the current load (amperage) of actual useage. Old, coroded, or misaligned contacts usually. Corroded grounding points of "floating" light bulb fixtures are suspect as well.

Hyperdog ME

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ABC.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Well, a week on, both reverse lights are now working still. One fixed by swapping the switch, the other fixed itself, which I couldn't do no matter how much I tried.

So now it ain't broke, I ain't going to try to fix it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo