Ticking/Spark noise C900

When I have the bonnet (hood) open I can hear a loud noise like a spark from around the inlet manifold area. Any clues anyone? Injector, knock sensor?

About 4 per second? Increases with engine revs.

1987 C900 T16 Aero

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

in article VSsbf.8510$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 06/11/2005 19:32:

From the intake? Hmmm ...

If it was from the exhaust side, I'd say you had the usual manifold crack between cylinders 2&3. That makes a kind of spitting noise.

I'm not *that* clued up on the B202, but I have heard about the charcoal canister ticking away ... I think that's maybe that's a non-UK thing, though. If you suspect the knock sensor, that would point to the APC solenoid valve on top of the radiator. A bad spark plug connection can get that thing chattering. Likewise, if your brake pedal (or cruise) has gone 'hair-trigger', that can set it off chattering, too.

Have another listen and see if you can pin-point the exact location in the engine bay.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Loose plug?

!^NavFont02F000A0006MGHHGR3DFB

Reply to
clive

Sometimes Bosch injectors "tick" as they age. They aren't always worn out, or even clogged, and a good clean can help.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

yes my 1990 9000 2.0 turbo does that too i think its the injectors too

o and would the injectors from a 1992 9000 cd 2.3 turbo fit my 1990

9000 cd 2.0 turbo and if they do are they better??
Reply to
es

Could be bad insulation on a plug wire, try spraying water on your spark plug cables while the engine is running and see if the ticking changes or the engine misfires, don't need a lot of water, just a spray bottle will do.

Reply to
James Sweet

They would physically fit, but I'm not sure if they would fuel correctly with a 2.0 ECU. They mail overfuel leading to a drop in performance, black smoke, and poor fuel consumption.

On the other hand they may be identical, as the ECU would use it's programming to get the best from an injector, and injectors work over a range of power outputs.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Injectors. Normal. When it stops making that noise get someone to look at them. ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Only just noticed it, and with an 18 yr old car I've spent a fair bit of time with my head under the hood. She's going like a rocket at the moment so I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks to all for your input.

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

Speaking of charcoal cannisters, where does one go to actually get the charcoal replaced? I have a spare unit here (correct 2-port version to suit Australian 8V C900's), but if I just wanted to change the charcoal to renew the unit, I haven't found any place that does it.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

What do you think of the rpm figure Fred? ;-)

Reply to
John Hudson

You don't.. unless the unit is physically broken. The 'charcoal' only stores petrol fumes. If the engine is running there's a clean air flow through it that regenerates the activated carbon. If you really wanted to replace the activated carbon, you could take it out of a new gas mask cartridge. Activated carbon is also used in water purification, try your local water purification plant. Also some aquarium shops may have it. You could regenerate saturated activated carbon by heating it until it glows.

Reply to
MH

What am I supposed to think? Do you think he was accurate in gauging 4 ticks per second? I know that I have heard the injectors on otherwise perfectly running cars. But I would not have even ventured a guess as to the frequency they were happening at by ear...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It just struck me what a slow tick over we have here! It could be just one noisey injector and not all four. Whats the news on your daughters car, is the auto still the same?

Reply to
John Hudson

The four per second was only a guess I didn't time it, if I counted them over a minute I could be more accurate. But RPM at tickover is a steady

800-900 which is OK.

My guess is one ticking injector, since I want to change em out for bigger ones when I upgrade the APC, ECU and FPR it can wait.

Anyone have a source for upgraded ECU to the UK?

Al

Reply to
Al

Yeah, the trans has been behaving pretty much the same since I picked it up back at the end of June. She had driven it home last weekend (she lives away at school) and I drove it for a while trying to figure out exactly what the circumstances were that generates the rougher shifts. I have to say it seems awfully random to me. It's not always the same gear change (1-2, 203, etc) and it isn't related to how much I'm accelerating at the time. Sometimes it shifts smoothly under acceleration and sometimes not. Same thing when giving it minimum gas.

I dunno. I'm tempted to just live with it and see what happens.

Reply to
Malt_Hound