Unravelled Sepentine Belt

This is a new belt put in approximately a month ago when the water pump was replaced. A quarter inch strip has separated off and was slapping against the engine is how I know that. I can't say why this was. Think there might be a pulley freezing somehow? Think the water pump pulley might not have been in alignment? Anyone have any experiences to go by? I don't suppose it's safe to drive back to the mechanic now.

The installation was done by an indy, using parts I ordered from the internet supplier popular here. The mechanic might not have been especially keen to do it...

We're talking about my car, too--1994 9000CS turbo.

Reply to
Valjean

There is a possibility the groves were not aligned perfectly on every pulley. I know because I have the same thing happened to my 94 cs. And I did the job myself. Carelessness.

Reply to
yaofengchen

Yes, I agree. What most likely happened is that the belt was off by one groove on one pulley. The edge of the pulley usually has a raised edge that will sever that last segment off the belt as yours did. Just put another belt on and be sure to visually check every pulley to be sure the belt is properly centered.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

The indy I had it done with insisted today it couldn't have been off because of the grooves, until the belt unraveled and inserted itself somehow between the belt's grooves and the pulley wheel. So it was the belt, he claimed.

Reply to
Valjean

Check how many grooves the pulleys have and how many are on the belt.

I had a serpentine belt replaced recently and my mechanic initially got supplied with a 6 groove belt when mine needed a 5 groove one IIRC. Had it been the other way round - maybe the belt would fit but be unreliable ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well, I will. However, I procured mine from a well-known internet house of supply, and my indy didn't mention that one when trying to account for the belt's fraying...

Reply to
Valjean