Used car advice

But who oh why did they name it 1.8t ?

Reply to
johannes

It's a competitor product to the A4 1.8T and Passat 1.8T; offers the same maximum power so is badged (nearly) the same. The 2.0T has a bigger turbo, changed camshafts, different manifold and larger injectors; this is to compete with the Audi / VAG 2.0T models I suppose - and it has more power.

So I suppose the 2.0t is the inbetweener... :-)

I've *always* liked Saab low pressure turbos as they're a great real world compromise for an ordinary engine *but* they chip very nicely to a full pressure turbo if wanted. I just never thought I'd own one.

Reply to
DervMan

*chuckles*

No, I don't do that often, though I have done it before when necessary. I have seen some messed up merging lanes.

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

Yes, most diesels these days are turbo diesels, so why not petrol engines? The low pressure turbos increases the efficiency of the engine and adds torque rather than top end horsepower. Turbo lag is virtually non-existent. With diesel fuel 15% more expensive, the economy gap is closing.

Next up is the HCCI petrol engine development, should add another 15% in fuel efficiency. Though some diesel clatter will return :-)

Reply to
johannes

It's probably the way the PR people had their wicked way with the range twenty or so years ago.

Ford have (had) a number of small capacity turbocharged ( With diesel fuel 15% more expensive, the economy gap is closing.

The pence per mile gap is, can or does. Personally I believe it's only going to get worse, at least in the UK, because demand for diesel has been driven up by its lower CO2 and more and more company car drivers moving across to diesel. This isn't why I've swapped from a diesel to a petrol, it's that I don't entirely trust the 1.9 TiD engine in the newer 9-3 and 9-5 models...

I miss my clatter... :-/

Reply to
DervMan

like the newer 9-3, doesn't quite feel like a WARMED OVER CAV...

looks nice but dull to drive

can't quite bring myself to own one, sure it's a good car... .

bland

I got similar/more MPG from the V6 so don't rule it out, makes a mundano slightly less dull.

Reply to
john