What is 900 Sport S turbo worth?

Anyone know about this model from the eighties? What were production #'s etc? Approx value in resale market?

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

I don't recall a "Sport S Turbo" model. In the early '80s there was a base model - no letters after the name. The next model up was the "S", which was for "sport" although the turbo owners called it "slow". Then there was the "Turbo". Late in the '80s the base model was dropped and the 900S became the base model. I believe the turbo was available through out the '80s, starting with the 8 value engine and in the 16 valve engine later in the '80s. This is a very condensed history.

Reply to
ma_twain

Resale value depends entirely on your location and the condition of the car. In average shape I would guess it would fetch between $500-$2500 depending on location.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually, I thought they dropped the base model in the 80s, but it was available in '92 I know for certain. 93 was an odd year, though, there were 'S' models without sunroofs!

I think that 'Sport' was a Canadian market model. I think they were NA engines, but had chrome grilles and alloy wheels.

KeithG

ma_twa>

Reply to
KeithG

I never heard that S stood for "sport", at least in the US market. When I bought a 900 new in 1990 it was a base model (so they definitel existed at that time), the "S" and "SE" models had additional luxury features like leather and sunroof as standard equipment, but nothing of a sporting nature that I recall.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I (in USA) own a '91 900S (n/a) 3-dr coupe which as is just a trim difference from base 900. I have leather seates, seat heater, wipers on headlights, cruise control, etc. -- but nothing that would suggest that 'S' means 'sport'. A neightbor has a '91 900S Turbo that looks to be exactly my car but with the turbo -- I'm jealous :)

Probably an easy way to guage the year would be to look for the air bag (I don't know off the top of my head when it was introduced, but I think '89 or '90).

Hans

Reply to
Hans Lellelid

In the USA, the 1986 base model was the 8 Valve engine with no letters ater the 900. I had one and it was the last year of the inexpensive headlights and parking brake on the front wheels. Now that I own an SPG, the "S" certainly stands for slow. I looked at Saabs later and the

900 was discontinued a few years later, with the "base" model being the 900S, with leather and sunroof standard. I also have a 1990 900S, with the 16 Valve engine and parking brake on the rear axle (handbrake turns).

The interesting story about the 1986 900 was the emissions testing. The technician put the front wheels on the rollers, got it up to speed and then made sure the parking brake on. The look of his face was priceless as he stalled the engine everytime . . . I did stop another technician when he put the front wheels of my rear wheel drive 245 on the rollers and was about to get it up to speed for the emissions test.

Reply to
ma_twain

That's kinda funny, they've always asked me with my 240, but every time I've had the 740 tested they try to get me to park the front wheels on the rollers.

Reply to
James Sweet