When buying a Saab

Apologies for the broad base question. I currently own a 1988 Saab

900. When purchased it was and still is in pretty bad shape. So I really do not have a good baseline to compare another car. What is with the transmission? I read for sale ads from private owners complaning about going through their second transmission. Next is what is considered reasonable for high mileage? American cars 120,000 miles is high milelage, while my current 900 odometer stopped at 208,000. Of course mileage has a cause and effect on the resale purchase price. I am open to all models newer than what I own. What engine is better and is a turbo necessary?

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.

Reply to
dadofpscag

89 onwards brakes and wheels (stud pattern) changed IIRC. Reliability also improved as a rule. Fair few people reckon each year from 89 - 93 had less problems than the previous ones, but it's not universal! Oz didn't get ABS 'til 92 models and retained the 3 spd auto throughout. The later 5 spd is a definite improvement on the originals. Electrics generally seemed to get better too. Body integrity and safety features remianed strong points throughout the car's life. Turbo? Personal choice. I miss my '81T but I like lots of things about my '90NA. If I get the chance I'll buy a low mileage '92/'93 3dr T in the next 12 months. Then again, one of these days I'll probably go all stupid and get an early EMS as a project car too! Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

The new brakes (with a 4-bolt stud pattern) were already on the MY88. What you have is easy to find out, the old system parking brake locked the front wheels, the new system operates on the rear wheels.

Reply to
th