1992 saturn SL coupe

I have a 92 standard. I put in reverse and started to back out. When I went to put it into 1st the gear shift just went completely free. I cannot put it into any gear. And it is stuck in reverse. The gear shift just moves up and down. The transmission fluid is fine and the car has always run extremely well. I was still getting 31-33 miles to the gallon. Please help. thank you very much.

Reply to
harm

Sounds like the shifter linkage has come loose from the transaxle possibly. I had this happen to me on a Jeep Cherokee. I had to remove the boot around the shifter to get to the shifter linkage. I'm not sure how to do this on a Saturn.

Reply to
Henry Paul

shift linkage came loose...goto the HELP section in your local parts store,,and purchase "c" clips..that should fix the problem:)

Reply to
saturn_SL2