1998 Saturn SL1 Coolant Leak/Bad Piston Sleeve

Hello:

My son's Saturn was losing antifreeze and I was afraid it was going into the engine oil. A trip to the local GM dealer (nearest Saturn dealer is 240 miles and I didn't want to drive it this far) revealed coolant in the oil.

They thought it was a head gasket so they replaced it but it is still leaking into the oil. They now think it is a piston sleeve and are working up an estimate. This engine has 45K on it.

Can a leaky sleeve be fixed or will it need a new engine? And is it unreal for me to expect Saturn to cover part of this expense? An engine with this few of miles on it should not have this kind of problem. And what is the best way to contact Saturn to discuss this problem?

Thanks for your help. You can email me directly at:

dvoeltz!@!pie!.!midco!.!net (remove the !'s from the email address)

Dave in Pierre, SD

Reply to
dvoeltz

Hi, Dave, When I had the infamous engine head problem, my dealer's service manager referred me to Saturn Customer Service in Spring Hill, Tennessee

. From what I understand, my service manager confirmed with them that I had maintained my Saturn (it was not a neglect problem) so they agreed to cover the cost of parts (about $1000 retail). Hope that helps!Steve T

Reply to
Steve