2000SL1 Idle when cold

Hey all,

I have a 2000SL1 with 78K miles. Automatic (2nd transmission >.< ouch).

When the weather bottoms out and the temp drops the car will start and idle at 3000RPM. Yikes! Then it will drop down to normal, but when I put it in gear, the RPMs go back up and the car could practically drive itself (could be why my transmission failed at 70K Miles). When I put the car back in neutral, it revs to 2-3000RPM and back down to right under 1000. This problem is intermittent. I've switched to synthetic oil to hopefully protect a little from the startup revs until I fix this issue.

Anyway, I've replaced the O2 sensor & Air Cleaner. I will be replacing the PCV this weekend.

I was reading it could also be caused by clogged injectors. Would running a can of injector cleaner through the system be ok ? I only ask because as a rule I don't put 'extra' junk into my oil/gas unless recommended. I'd rather err on the side of caution. ;)

Also, I've heard that along with PCV, the Electronic Coolant Tempurature Sensor can be faulty and cause this. Does the ECTS go by another name ? These folks at the parts stores aren't necessarily the brightest bulbs in the pack.

And finally, is there anything else I can do to try and remedy the problem myself? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Chris

Reply to
Chris Etzel