2001 L100 Tail Light

My rear tail light just quit and the dealer told me I need to replace the whole assembly. Priced at $111, I told him forget it. He did mention that
there's a circuit board on each tail light, and mine has failed. If so, could someone tell me if it's worth trying to fix. I can get a used assembly on e-Bay for $15-40 and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to attemt to repair.
Thanks!
John Fogarty
@yahoo.com says...

<scratches head> Huh?
Which tail lamp? Center/Left/Right? Brake light/Turn Signal/Backup light/All?
Circuit board??? I'm glancing at the schematics and I have no idea what this dealers talking about.
Just did a seach on this problem ... found this qoute from an unhappy Saturn L Series owner:
"Adding insult to injury: We have had both tail light assemblys replaced a total of 7 times in 4 years. The cause: Printed circuit board assemblies in the tail lights CAN'T handle the current load and melt the plastic assembly. Five were replaced under warranty. We have paid for the last two at $182 each and it needs ANOTHER right rear light along with a new engine!"
Again, referencing the circuit board assemblies.
I'll pull it apart this weekend and follow up with a reply and let you know what I found.
John
rear tail light just quit and the dealer told me I need to replace the <BR>&gt;&gt; whole assembly. Priced at $111, I told him forget it. He did mention that <BR>&gt;&gt; there's a circuit board on each tail light, and mine has failed. If so, <BR>&gt;&gt; could someone tell me if it's worth trying to fix. I can get a used assembly <BR>&gt;&gt; on e-Bay for $15-40 and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to attemt to <BR>&gt;&gt; repair.<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Thanks!<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; John Fogarty <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &lt;scratches head&gt; Huh?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Which tail lamp?<BR>&gt; Center/Left/Right?<BR>&gt; Brake light/Turn Signal/Backup light/All?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Circuit board??? I'm glancing at the schematics and I have no idea what <BR>&gt; this dealers talking about. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
If you have a digi cam take some pics for us. My schematics dont mention a board but the diagram kinda hints that there is one. (it should of said so) You might be able to pop these things apart and rebuild them better than before.
@yahoo.com says...

total of 7 times in 4 years. The cause: Printed circuit board assemblies in the tail lights CAN'T handle the current load and melt the plastic assembly. Five were replaced under warranty. We have paid for the last two at $182 each and it needs ANOTHER right rear light along with a new engine!"

Unfortunately that is correct. I had both of them replaced. I paid for the first but threw a fit when the other one went out so the dealer picked up the cost. There is circuit board in the lense and one connection for all of the lights. It is not really a circuit board per se but a bunch of tracer circuits going to the bulbs. This is a known issue.
blah blah wrote:

mention
unhappy Saturn L Series owner:

replaced a total of 7 times in 4 years. The cause: Printed circuit board assemblies in the tail lights CAN'T handle the current load and melt the plastic assembly. Five were replaced under warranty. We have paid for the last two at $182 each and it needs ANOTHER right rear light along with a new engine!"

you know what I found.

says...

replace the

mention that

If so,

used assembly

to attemt to

idea what

Correct. I just pulled the tail light out and can see that the running lamb base (socket) melted. A new socket and bulb didn't fix the problem. I justed checked e-Bay: there are 4 or 5 for auction at less than $40, with the sockets. I'll check the salvage yard first. It is one (explicative) design and seems to fail quite frequently - it's a shame. I'll pull this one apart on the wekend and see if it can be repaired.
This is the exact crap that will keep me from ever buying a Saturn again.
says...

I thought it was just the bulb socket. I guess I got lucky, I replaced the socket only last year. To date, it still works. The socket cost about $25. L200 2001.
says...