Tail light louvers

Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's early 90's?

I've seen them on 88 GT's. What do they mean? Are they an option or were they only on specific year(s)?

Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light assembly?

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

jonezzzman wrote in news:AWaUj.2545$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

The louvered tail lights were stock on the late Fox GT cars:

The louvers are part of the stock assembly, but you may be able to find aftermarket units that may suit your purpose.

Reply to
Joe

They were one of the GT - specific options on the 87 - 93's, derisively called the cheese graters. A common upgrade / customization is the replacement of these with the standard 'clean' LX tail lights, so you could probably find someone here, or on eBay, or on a parts for sale / parts wanted site who has a pair in their garage that they'd sell.

Reply to
Jim C

And they aren't louvers, it's actually painted onto the plastic lens.

Reply to
WindsorFo

"WindsorFox" wrote in news:fvt0fb$f9c$3 @posting2.glorb.com:

Where do you come up with this crap?

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:Xns9A97A511B4D7nospamforme@

216.77.188.18:

The original louvers were actual metal louvers that covered the entire rear lighting from side to side. The ones referred to on ebay were molded into the lens assembly, so you do not get the same effect as the metal louvers.

Reply to
elaich

I've never seen a set with metal louvers that screw or stick over the plastic lens. Every pair that I've ever seen (and looked at close enough to notice) was molded into the plastic lens and then painted the color of the car in the same way that the lines between the segments on the LX lenses are painted black. I note this as I hold in my hands the original OEM lenses off of a 90 GT and from my 89 LX along with a new OEM replacement set for my LX. The post you quoted is just more of that troll's petty bullshit that he posts in reply to any post I make even if he's wrong, like now.

I have a representative photo showing said detail if you would like to see it. If you have a photo of one with separate louvers I'd like to see it. I'm sure it's possible the early GTs from 87 and 88 could have been different.

Perhaps Dwight will be so kind as to tell us how the lenses are made on CFrog...

Reply to
WindsorFo

"WindsorFox" wrote in news:fvts92$hhc$ snipped-for-privacy@posting2.glorb.com:

No matter how you cut it, they're not "painted onto the plastic lens" as WF erroneously claims (no surprise there).

As elaich said, the louvers are either the metal ones that cover an LX- style lens, or the plastic ones that are molded into the lens with actual texture.

Reply to
Joe

Absolutely 10,000% incorrect. This gibberish bullshit could not be more incorrect if this petty troll tried to be wrong by lying. This troll is purposely combative for no apparent reason and just attempts to invalidate a reply from me out of petty bullshit. I know factually how these are made as I have a pair of lenses that I personally removed from a 1990 GT in a junkyard. They are the OEM Ford lenses and I have a picture that shows how they are made.

The cheese grater look is molded into the plastic lens and is painted directly onto the plastic the same color as the car. So yes, the louvered look *is* painted on to the lens. I suggest the OP take that info to the bank from the person holding the lenses in his hand rather than a purposely combative troll. I have been told that the GT lenses can be placed on the LX tail light assy in replacement of the LX lenses, but I have never confirmed this myself.

"I've also noted that a couple of my regular spammers have pretty much switched over to phishing and 419s from pecker pills and sawdust tablets." - Bar0

"If it's from BRNIC, it's GOT to be blocked" - Buss Error

Reply to
WindsorFo

I hate to add to a disagreement. CFrog's appear to be some sort of plastic laminate, perhaps 1/16th or even 1/32nd of an inch thick, glued onto the lenses themselves. Without removing them, that's what it looks like to me. The "louvers" do obviously stand off from the lenses, but they cannot be separately removed. Still, they are not painted on (i.e.: flush with the surface of the lens). Given the manufacturing standards of 1993, I have to believe that the overlays (louvers) were painted separately, then glued atop the lenses. There's no way that they could be painted onto the lenses with such precision.

Of course, Reef Blue being such a SPECIAL color, perhaps mine were manufactured differently from the run-of-the-mill colors. (Doubt it.)

Because you asked, I spent the last half hour taking and uploading a couple of shots, which show how the louvers stand off from the lenses:

's a good thing I'm on vacation with absolutely nothing to do. (Also, while you're there, don't miss the beautiful flower shot on the main page
That, actually, is the ONE thing I have to do - pull that #*%$ out.)

Also (a damn shame), it looks like you can find all kinds of LX-style taillight assemblies in the aftermarket, but no GT cheese graters (except in Fox's junkyard). LX, Cobra style, or some really crappy Euro style taillights, but no GTs.

According to 50Resto, all 1983-1993 taillight assemblies are interchangable, so it looks like you could as easily go from LX to GT as from GT to LX.

dwight

Reply to
dwight
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Project much?

Reply to
Frank ess

That looks identical to the ones I have. The reason I say it's sprayed on is because if you scratch the colored part there is red lens underneath. I don't recommend you do that for proof though, the ones I have already have scratches. The ones I have came off a black car, I thought about swapping them for a while (still may FTHOI) and "Cabernet Red wasn't an option so black was the best choice. See here:

Looking at mine it still looks molded into the lens and coated because trying to peel it off doesn't seem to work, but I think I could easily scratch it. Might call around and find a smashed one to look at.

The biggest problem I have is the asshole attitude for petty purposes, You know what I'm talking about.

Saw that already :oP Mr. Mouse wasn't living in the vent was he?

I noticed that, maybe that's why a set on eBay was going for $400. Maybe I'll see if I can snag several pairs and sell them om the bay...

Yes, the assembly is, but, can you take the lens off of an LX assembly and put the GT lens on it? I'd assume so, but I never tried.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Beg 'pardon?

Reply to
WindsorFo

Eh. I'm too old now to get riled up too easily. Wizened. Just words on a screen.

I was actually referring to the beautiful photo of POISON IVY on my home page. Hate that stuff, so I'm going to have to put on my HazMat gloves and disposable clothing and rip it out this week. I've identified at least four growths that I "think" are poison ivy, but no one seems to have a definitive description of the plant - too many variants, too many morphs. Pretty much, anything with a three-leaf cluster is coming out, I don't CARE what it is. One little nano-drop of ivy sap can ruin two weeks of my summer.

Just went out with my tape measure. The LX assembly is slightly (1/2") wider, slightly taller. But there's enough clearance that they could probably be swapped.

Personally, I would never want GT taillights on an LX or vice versa. Just wouldn't be "proper."

dwight

dwight

I'd try auto salvage first. You can find some yards listed with Hemmings

which are all Mustang. Do a search for your year model and the ads should pop up between ads for individual cars (which was how I got an estimate for a Mustang I sold - I compared mine to the ads... and it sold for exactly what I asked... but you have to be careful of scammers making offers).

I have no idea if what you seek is in their catalogs, they are sorta out of my 65's year group (except CJPony) but ....

Check out....

Moss Motors

CJ Pony Parts
[CJPony has their own yard I believe] Brothers Performance

Spike

"WindsorFox" wrote in news:fvvc4o$lel$ snipped-for-privacy@posting2.glorb.com:

Idiot. You're the one who keeps ranting on and on. You were wrong and you still are. The lenses are not simply painted on as you first claimed. Now STFU and go away, pest.

Reply to
Joe

There's a few on eBay but the nice ones are very expensive, probably due to as Dwight observed you can't seem to buy them from the regular resto places.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Judging from the Google responses I got it definitely is, but I think I'd opt for some broad leaf weed killer over gloves.

That's why I never did. I considered it back when it was all the rage for the GT owners to replace theirs with LX lights. Several people I asked at the track said they changed because the cheese grater lights reminded them of disco. Never figured that one out.

Reply to
WindsorFo