2004 Vue Oil Change Light Reset

I just changed the oil, after 8000 miles of ownership, in my 2004 Saturn Vue. How do I reset the light? The dealer only had a 2003 Vue manual to give me, and the reset button has changed. I changed the oil when it started staying on after the engine was started. Will it stay on steady eventually? I figured after 8,000 miles, it wouldn't hurt the change the oil anyway, whether it needed it or not.

Reply to
adyard

I can only tell you that on my '06 Vue, you must turn the key to the on position (NOT starting the car) and press the gas pedal 3x within 5 seconds of turning the key on to reset. If successful, the oil light will blink. Then turn the key off. I have to do this myself after every change as you can't trust that they did it. I had the dealer change my oil once and said they reset it, but the light came on after 3K. I have onstar sending me oil life notices once a month and it indicated they did not reset it. My point is that if you do not change your own oil, always reset the indicator when you get back in the car, whether they said they did it or not...it won't hurt..

Good luck

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Does this go for Ion's too?,no one ever told me about this.

Reply to
teem

What kind of oil do you use? For non-synthetic that's a lot of miles, I change my oil at 5000.

Reply to
Keith

I can just tell you it's right there in my owners manual...I would assume it would be the same on the Ion, but you know what happens with assumptions :)

BTW, you have to depress the pedal all the way to the firewall (floor it) 3x within 5 seconds of turning the key on...Halfway down will not do it....And don't worry, you won't flood it or anything...

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Thanks for the help, folks! It took a few tries to figure out what I was doing, but I pressed the pedal three times WITHIN 5 seconds of putting the key into the "on" position, and then the light blinked, and it went off with the rest of the instrument panel lights when I started the vehicle. Keith, I'm just using the regular 5W-30, which the vehicle recommends. I used to be very conscientious about changing every 5,000 miles, but the light is on there for a reason. I bought the vehicle with 17,000 miles on it, and oil changed every

3,000 miles. Now, it has a little over 25,000 miles on it. I'm going to continue changing when the light comes on. My dad and brother have been relying on their vehicles to tell them when to change the oil; about 8000-9000 miles seems normal. I'll let you all know how it goes. My belief is the "change every 3,000 miles" is an oil company scheme. I've read about a lot of people, mostly cheap guys with pick- up trucks, who have over 100,000 and many over 200,000 miles on their vehicles. Some don't "change" the oil; they check the oil level and add oil when it needs it. When the oil pressure drops, as indicated on the dash board gage (I wouldn't wait for the idiot light to come on), then they change the filter. I'm not recommending this practice, but I do believe we can go a lot further than 3,000 miles between oil changes. You may be risking the factory warranty on the engine, but those have mileage limitations, too. Good luck out there, folks. Drive safely, and, again, thanks for the help!
Reply to
adyard

No, on the Ion you depress the trip odometer reset button 2 times in rapid succession.

Reply to
bo peep

That's so crazy! Which only goes to strengthen my point that you should learn how to reset it on your model vehicle and do so after the oil is changed, no matter who does the work. You can't expect a mechanic or esp. any guy at a quick change oil place to know how to reset it on every model. It would make sense if all GM's (or at least Saturn's) would work the same way, but apparently they don't. I hear supposedly on a new 2009 model, to reset it you'll have to turn the radio on and off 10x in 3 seconds while seated in the back seat with the seat belt on, and the car must be moving at a minimum of 25mph or it won't reset.... . :)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>