92 Saturn SL 2 Gasoline Problem

Hello All. Can anyone offer advice please? I have a 92 SL which I have been pleased with overall. Car has approx 150K miles on it. It used to idle really high and stall often. I replaced the Idle Control Valve and teh Oxygen sensor and those seem to have helped. (Although it still stalls from time to time - just not as often.) Overall seems to be running better.

My biggest concern now is that everytime I drive the car, the exhaust smells STRONGLY of gasoline. If I use the heater in the car, the entire cab smells like gas (and I get to smell like gas all day too.) The gas mileage has also dropped dramatically.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Thanks!

Reply to
daisy_payne

Smell of gas and poor gas mileage sounds like a fuel leak. This could be a serious safety and property damage issue and I suggest you get assistance without delay. Do not drive this car without complete inspection. There should be no connection between engine performance and heater smell. Gas smell from the exhaust is the smell of wasted money.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

I had a bad gas smell in the car with the heater blower on. The dealer replaced the "canister purge valve" which is on the engine near the firewall. Gas vapors were venting from the valve and getting sucked into the cowl where you get your outside air from.

James

Reply to
James1549