93 Saturn SL2 belt noise

My saturn makes a huge noise, probably from one of belts, after starting engine, especially when the engine is still cool. It lasts for about 100 yards and eventually goes away. What could be the problem? Do I need to replace belts? If so, which one ? It has automatic transmission and AC if that matters. TIA.

Reply to
yk

"yk" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Do I need to replace belts? If so, which one ?

Yes, you need to replace the belt. There is only one, and it's quite easy to do.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common problem.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

"Lane" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Or the belt tensioner. those wear out as well.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Are they, belt tensioner and idler pullley easy to replace as well ? Thanks.

Reply to
yk

In my case it was the belt tensioner. Easy to replace but I needed a offset wrench to get at the nuts to get it out.

Fred, 94 SC2

Reply to
Fred V.

"yk" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

actually, yes. once the belt is off, the idler is 1 bolt, the tensioner is

2 - but they are a bit of a pain to get to.
Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

It was a tensioner. Replacing it solved the problem. Thanks.

Reply to
yk