Rear bearing noise?

I'm new to this group so I apologize if this subject has been discussed previously. My '97 Outback Legacy Wagon with automatic transmission, which I have recently purchased for winter driving produces an unusual noise when starting from a stop. Initially, for maybe the 1st second from a stop everything seems fine, then a noise somewhat like a right rear wheel bearing starts. If I lift off the throttle the noise stays for a short time, maybe half a second, then suddenly vanishes. If I keep accelerating the noise goes away suddenly at about 25 MPH. One other symptom, although I'm not certain of this, there appears to be a substantial drag from the rear drive as the engine is working hard during this "noise" period but the rate of acceletration seems slow. Also if I really get on the throttle during this "noise" period the front tires chirp at the 1st to 2nd shift. Any clues? Many thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Salter

Perhaps a sticking parking brake (I never would use one in a cold climate) or ice build up inside the wheels, around the axles, driveshaft, etc. TG

Reply to
TG

The park brake seems OK because i can easily push the car after i release it. No ice or snow here yet (Toronto) so that is not it. The odd thing is the slight delay??

"TG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Michael Salter

Reply to
NoSpam

Subies are notorious for rear wheel bearing failure. Mine ('99 OBS) were going out every 3k - 5k miles until my mechanic found out that the 2 sets of ball bearings can be replaced with roller bearings from different model-years. It's been over 15k miles now without a problem.

Reply to
rick

Problem solved. The PO had fitted 75 series tires on the front with 70 series on the rear. I was experiancing transmission bind up. As soon as i installed the FWD fuse the problem vamished. Now with 75 series tires on the rear all is well.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Salter