95 SC1 - what kind of tires can I use?

I have tires in the same size as stock (175/70-R14) but the front two are wearing down.

I'm not terribly happy with these tires anyway, so I'm thinking of replacing the whole set. But it's difficult to find decent tires in that size.

Tirerack is recommending 185/70-R14, which is more common. Can I use this tire size? Will I have any problems? Will I have to get new wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Newsposter Guy

The 175/70R14 can be found if you look for them, but was somewhat unique to Saturn. We found some nice Cooper made 2000LTE's (70K miles) at Pep Boys for $41 each. Even with installation, lifetime balancing/alignment, road hazard package, and an alignment a set of 4 tires cost under $350.

As to substituting a different size, this can be done and given that both are 14" and the increased width is only 10mm (under .4"), I would think they would likely fit fine on your existing wheels provided there is sufficient clearance. In the case you cited, replacing the 175's with 185's while retaining the 70 profile would result in about a 5.7% (if my calculations are correct) speedometer/odometer error (it would read lower than actual speed).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Use the calculator to see what happens to your speedometer reading when you change the size of your tires and wheels. The graphic shows your stock tire selection in an outline overlaid on your new tire selection.

rufus

Better option is to use 185/65R14. This keeps about the same diameter but tires are slightly larger. This size was recommanded to me by other dealer.

Reply to
Michal

Nice site. Thanks for posting. This clearly shows that my earlier calculation was incorrect. (I forgot to add the 7" - 177.8mm wheel radius to the sidewall length so the speedometer error is less than half of what I had estimated previously.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Other option is to check the circumferance of the stock tire by the manufacture website, most list this infomation. Then you can up your width to what ever you want (within reason) and know which tire is the same or very close to your circumference. Minimal if any speedo error this way.

Anyone know how wide of rubber will fit on a 1999 SW2? I'd like to go to a 205, i think stock is a 195/65/15 i'm thinking of

205/60/15 or 205/55//15 pending on manufacture.

calculations

Reply to
Rogers

Thanks. I ran this tire size through the Miata calculator and you're right, it is very close. And a much better selection of tires too.

Reply to
Lurker Steve