snow tires

what is the best SNOW tire size for my 88 volvo 240DL?

thanks kevin

Reply to
mgcarma

175/80R14!
Reply to
Jan-Erik

Any of the soft-compound snow and ice tires will work ok. We used Goodyear Ultra-Grips, back when they were made in the US and were high-quality. Other popular choices are Blizzaks and Nokians. Make sure that you have at least aggressive-tread all-season tires on the front, or, better yet, snow tires (an older pair is fine for the front). And 50lbs of weight in the trunk will help quite a bit.

'88 240DL...up for sale.

Reply to
mj

Appreciate the help, but what SIZE snow tire should I go with?

Reply to
mgcarma

Appreciate the help, but what SIZE snow tire should I go with?

Reply to
mgcarma

A couple of different sized tires were used on the 240 series, commonly 185/70 R14 on the sedans and 195/70 R14 on the wagons and some of the sedans. 205's were also used, I think. Go with whatever size you have on it now, unless it's a wagon with 185's, in which case you need bigger tires anyway.

Reply to
mj

How about 185 60 r14's

I have a set of Nokians in that size, will these be ok?

thanks Kevin

Reply to
mgcarma

How about 185 60 r14's

I have a set of Nokians in that size, will these be ok?

thanks Kevin

Reply to
mgcarma

They're a bit small for a sedan. They might work for city driving but I wouldn't use them for highway trips. They will also make your speedometer read slightly too high. They are definitely too small for a wagon, or if you carry passengers or heavy stuff.

Reply to
mj

The same size as the standard tires for your car, which for a 244 was a

185/70-14 I believe.

John

Reply to
John Horner