97 Saturn SL Drum Brake Question

I measured the thickness of the bonded brake material on the rear drum brakes and it was 1/8".

What is the thickness of the brake material on new brake shoes?

Are my brakes 1/2 worn? 3/4 worn? shot? ...

Reply to
rufus

I don't know the original thickness, but generally use the rule of thumb that when the braking material is down to the thickness of the backing plate it is time to replace them. At 1/8" I think you are there now .

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

According to

(pay service, but well worth the $ in my opinion)

The thickness of the new brakes is 0.16"

The thickness at which the brakes should be discarded is 0.04"

You measure 0.125"

You have consumed 0.035" of brake material, and the total amount of brake material that can be consumed before the brakes need to be replaced is 0.12"

You've used up 0.035/0.120, or 29% of the life of the brakes.

If I were you, I'd put them back and check them again when you've doubled (or tripled) the mileage of your car.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Thanks Kirk,

Prior to reading your message, I got new brakes from Advance Auto Parts, compared the thickness with the new ones and noticed that there was little wear, so I returned them. Note: car has 126,000 miles - still has original rear brakes. Looks like I may be able to get 300,000 miles on them (Mostly highway driving).

Reply to
rufus

Reply to
Matt hotmail