1996 GM Motorhome Brake Drum Removal

Hi, I need some help! I am trying to remove a brake drum from my Class A motorhome. I have a Chevrolet 454 engine, so I assume the rear end is GM. There are (8) 1" nuts holding the tires (750 R16)on. There are 8 more bolts (size 3/4") on the end of the shaft (about 6" from the drum). Brake Drum is stamped Max Dia. 13.09. How do I get this drum off? It looks like there is a spacer of somekind on the face of the drum. I tried a 10" puller on BOTH sides of the motorhome and I cannot get the spacer or drum to move? The thing I am calling a spacer is almost 2" deep and the wheel studs pass right through it. It sits flush up against the Brake Drum and the wheel studs stick out the other side appx. 2 1/2". I removed the (8)

3/4" bolts on the end and it appears that this is the axle. I only slid it out a 1/2" and stopped. It looked like this had nothing to do with removing the brake drum. So I replaced the (8) 3/4 bolts on the end plate. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Rick
Reply to
Hillou812

Take the axle shaft back out. Look closely, there are large hex nut(s) and probably a stop washer, from there, it's just like taking a front brake drum (from the good old days) off.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I have a couple of other question, before I remove the axle, is there any kind of differential shims or spacers that I have to worry about when I pull the axle out? Also are there any C-clips at the end of the axle? Should I go ahead and pull the differential cover to or will it be ok just to remove and replace the shafts? Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Hillou812

Hillou812 wrote

No.

No.

You are working on a "full floating" rear axle. All you need to do on this one is pull the axle shaft right out. Then you should see a large nut on the threaded spindle that actually holds the bearings, hub, and drum in place. There should be a flat circular clip that is holding a small square piece of metal in a groove in the spindle. You will also note that "that" square piece fits in a groove that is formed by both the nut and the spindle. This is what keeps the nut from backing out. Remove the retaining clip, remove the square insert, and then you can back off the nut. You are supposed to use a special socket for that nut, but I always just use a round punch, fit the end in one of the indentations in the outer rim of the nut, and then use the reliefs on the inside of the hub to catch the shaft of the punch and turn the whole drum assembly in order to back off the nut. Once it's a couple of turns loose, you can back it off by hand. Then just pull the drum and hub assembly right off.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

The axles should come right out and go back in just as easily. Replace the oil gasket with the 8 holes on the end of the axle. It's probably aluminum.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=