98 Saturn sl2 idle/acceleration problem

Hi, I purchased this car from a friend at a very low price about 2 years ago and I noticed from the first day I had it, that it idled high whenever I would stop. It seems to be much worse when it's cold or when I have my A/C on. Recently I had my CTS (coolant temperature sensor) replaced and that seemed to fix the idling issue for about 2 weeks, then it went right back to how it was just a few weeks prior.

Also, within the past few weeks I have noticed some hesitancy in acceleration when it shifts at around 35-40 mph. If I get on the highway I can almost floor it, but it doesn't accelerate much at all and it really lacks power accelerating after a stop. The service engine soon light will blink a few times and then shut back off. Because of these two problems, I really hate driving my car even though it's never broken down on me.

I have looked online and seen multiple solutions to both problems, but have never seen someone who said they actually worked. I have spoken to multiple auto mechanics about this and haven't gotten any advice. Please help!

Thanks, James

Reply to
james.harber

Mileage? Maintenance history? Providing some basic information will most likely help make the replies you receive more useful.

These are very basic engines and usually run pretty well with minimum problems when they are properly maintained. When were the plugs and wires last replaced? When was the air filter replaced? When was the throttle body last cleaned thoroughly? Has the EGR ever been removed and cleaned or replaced? Any vacuum leaks and is the PCV functioning properly? Is it possible you got a bad CTS? (These are cheap and easy to replace.) Have you had the computer history of diagnostic codes dumped and if so, what was the error that triggered the SES light?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Faulty replacement CTS?