98 SL2 value?

Hi group-

I looked at a '98 SL2 this afternoon locally, it appears to be a good deal but I wanted to toss this your way. Car is automatic, 59K miles, power doors/locks/sunroof, also has cruise. Problems all appear to be cosmetic, minor scratches on the front and back fenders but nothing noticeable from 10 feet away. The lot this car is on has records of mainenance, nothing major at all save for the normal oil, tuneups, etc all done faithfully. Interior is clean with the usual driver's seat wear & tear.

The car is $3800, does that sound reasonable? It appears a lot of the online sites like Edmunds have the car booked at around $5000+, so I thought $3800 sounded good to me, but I figured I'd check with some Saturn experts :-)

Thanks all!

-Russ

Reply to
Russ Benoit

From the few options and the short discription you listed "Kelley Blue Book" shows me a value of $3590 bucks. At a Repo Auction this car might bring $1800-$2500 bucks...but I havent been to an auction in awhile.

blah blah

Is that dealer offer on a trade, or the dealer sale price? I get $5980 for the dealer sale price on kbb.com, so $3800 sounded good to me (especially seeing as I'll be trading a full time 4WD Explorer with twice the mileage) but I wanted to check around to play it safe. You know how it goes... you think you've got a great deal then 2 weeks later an even better one pops up :-)

Reply to
Russ Benoit

$3590 was Private Party value, I didn't click many options. If you get any lines from a dealer like "a school teacher owned it" or "some lil ol lady owned it" dont believe it. Those are typical dealer sales pitches. The guy selling it usually doesnt know where it came from. $3800 sounds "fair" but if thats the price after the trade in it isn't unless your Exploders junk.

Btw Full Time 4WD is better wrote as AWD (all wheel drive).

Reply to
blah blah

Luckily I didn't get any lines. However, the car didn't run as well as it looked. Fairly heavy buzz/vibration at low RPM (my left leg was vibrating slightly leaning against the door) and 3 out of the 4 power windows had problems going up and down. He pre-empted my complaint about the windows by saying that he had motors coming in for replacement, and said he'd "have the buzz looked at" and will call me later in the week to take another look/drive. I let him know I wasn't impressed at all with the car. I had told him before driving it that I previously owned an SL2 so he knew I had experience driving them. The $3800 was the sticker price, my Exploder's in good condition, new tires, all maintenance done on time and with the paperwork saved. This SL2 did drive fine, plenty of pickup and go, save for the buzz when idling at lights and stops.

Thanks for the tip, I'm a dunce when it comes to cars :-)

Reply to
Russ Benoit

Your best and most accurate resources are Kelly Blue Book

ans to pick up a Black Book. Those are what dealers use and they are usually more accurate then Edmunds.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I paid $4,400 for a 98 SL2 about two weeks ago. Manual trans, no sun roof and 62k miles. I had to buy 4 new tires, too.

$3,800 sounds like a deal to me if the windows are all repaired ahead of time.

The vibration is most likely the upper engine mount. That's a DIY project, but make the dealer do it anyway (why scrape your knuckles?).

Good luck...

Warning: This is my first Saturn, so I'm NOT an expert. I get all my info from this forum and saturnfans.com...

Reply to
The Millers

Thanks for the advice. The lot still hasn't called me back yet re: repairs, and I've since found at least 2-3 better deals locally. One '96 SL1 was immaculate and only 53K mi on it, I just hesitate to grab a car any older than a '98. While the miles are low, I'm always worried about the aging of parts. Yeah I know I'm probably being overly paranoid :-)

I'm going to hit some more lots this weekend who don't have websites so I can see their inventory.

-Russ

Reply to
Russ Benoit

The one I bought, I spotted on autotrader, if that helps.

I've had this car just over two weeks, but I really do like it. I've been getting between 32 and 35 miles per gallon depending on traffic and use of the AC. My commute is almost 60 miles each way, so this was a good find for me.

There's a lot to like....

Reply to
The Millers