SES codes - serious?

My SES light has been on for a few weeks. I borrowed a OBD/II reader from AutoZone, and read the following codes:

P0133 - 02 Sensor CKT flow response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0341 - Camshaft position sensor A Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf

P0133 - pd - same text as first, but with pending.

This is a 97 SL2 with about 162,000 highway miles.

How serious is the camshaft position sensor?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim R

Fairly serious--isn't this what determines your ignition timing? Or is that the crank position sensor?

with 162,000 miles I wonder if the timing chain is stretched or worn to the point where it's affecting valve timing. If it's really serious you could have a car that's "jumped time"--where you've jumped a tooth or two on one of the sprockets.

Reply to
Biker Geek

The Saturns don't have a camshaft position sensor. The computer figures it out based on the spark from the (IIRC) 1-4 coil.

Anyway, the 341 code is probably due to plugs and wires. You're misfiring, and it's confusing the PCM's virtual camshaft position sensor. New plugs and new wires should fix this.

Be sure to use dielectric grease on both ends of the wires, and anti-sieze compound on the plug threads. Don't remove the plugs unless the engine is first thing in the morning cold.

As for the 133 code, that's probably an O2 sensor.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

You can't make that flat statement these days with the other engines used by Saturn. IIRC, the 6cyl, 3.0, L series engine is distributor-less and has both crank and cam position sensors. The OP did not state the model type or year... Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Ummmm, yes I did. "This is a 97 SL2 with about 162,000 highway miles."

I just replaced the plugs and wires based on other posts, and I reset the codes. I'm hoping that was right, since it will save me about $150 from going to the dealer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim R

I think someone found a fix for this problem last year. I think it involved regapping the plugs from .060 to .040 Also did you bother to check the resistance of your new plug wires?

Reply to
blah blah

Thanks for saving me the trouble of pointing out you had a 97 SL2.

Another post said it - plug gap 0.040", NOT 0.060.

Other than that, I bet plugs, wires, O2 sensor, dielectric grease and anti-sieze compound and you'll be merrily on your way.

Good luck!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen