changing timing belt?

I have a '95 SL-2 with 80k miles on it. Bought it used with 70k on it. I was wondering, when is it time to change the timing belt? I looked into the manual, but it doesn't say anything about the mileage.

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

For one, you have a chain. For two, there is no recommended service interval. Its supposed to last the life of the engine. In other words, if it starts clattering and making noise, then worry about it.

You should learn about a cool feature at groups.google.com. If you go there and type in rec.autos.makers.saturn you get a list of postings, AND you can search them. So if you typed in timing belt you would have gotten a bunch of hits as a lot of people post and ask the same questions, and got similar responses as I just typed above.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

First, it doesn't have a belt. It has a chain. I'm new to the saturn thing but I've read 70K to when it (chain) makes noise.

This is an interference engine so it truely stinks when it breaks. Talking to a Saturn mech when I was at lot looking for a car, he told me 5 hrs is what it takes to change one. Just a data point.

You might want to try something like:

to search the archives and make an informed choice.

HTH,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

It's not a quickie, but it's actually not that bad of a proceedure. Basicaly, you pop the left tire / splash shield off, remove the crank pulley (a pain), idlers (easy), tensioner (easy), water pump pulley (fun

Remove the valve cover (T-40 torx, BTW), then wedge a piece of wood under the dogbonme under the engine, pull the mount thingie off, then the 4 8mm bolts on the front of the oil pan.

Then you remove a bunch of 10mm bolts and maybe an 8, and carefully pry the cover off. Hey neat, there's the chain!

Pull the chain tensioner off, the tension shoe, the other shoe, note how worn they are, get a new chain and maybe shoes, then retract the tensioner, line everything up, and put the chain on.

Oh, then button it up. Use never-sieze on the water pump pulley bolts. Trust me.

It's not *hard*. It takes forever and a few bolts are a ROYAL pain to get at - a 1/4" drive air ratchet would make this a breeze.

But, I'd not worry, mine was still good at 220,000 miles, and if you change your oil every 3,000 or so, yours will, too.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Bandi, thanks a lot for the tips. Never used Google for searching groups - big mistake.

So, it's a chain. All right then.

Thank you.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNHRA (BANDIT2941) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

Reply to