Chilton's versus Haynes

Ok, before I lay out the bit of cash, what's the concensus from the folks with experience....is the Chilton's or Haynes manual(s) better for repairs?

Looking for one for my '94 SL2.

E. Reed

Reply to
E. Reed

for what its worth, I have the hayes book (and im a car newbie) and I find lots of the procedures hard to follow as they are mixed in with alot of related procedures. For instance, was reading up on changing the front disks, the book had me jump between about 3 or 4 different sections back and forth in the book.... that drove me nuts. ive never seen the chilton book so i cant comment there....

Reply to
Wurm

yeah i can agree wiht that, your workign on one thing in chapter 5 or somehtign and it says, turn to chapter 2 section 7 to see how to remove whatever

Reply to
Tim

I'd suggest you look for the genuine Saturn service manual on Ebay. When purchased new these can be fairly expensive compared to the Chilton's or Haynes, but since you are looking for an older vehicle, you could very well find a bargain. BTW, Chilton and Haynes are also listed there in Ebay as well if you are intent on either of these.

Personally, I do not think there is any comparison between the third party service manuals and the original manufacturer's version.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Where would one obtain factory service manuals?, and are they usable by car newbies?

TIA

Wurm

Reply to
Wurm

books can be

If you can read and have some mechanical ability, you can use them. They're sometimes available at ebay. A bit expensive through the dealer. Only you can know if the cost is worth it to you.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I have both manuals. I recently tried to figure out how to change my spark plugs, and I found the Haynes explanation much better for someone like myself who doesn't even know the names of common tools. The Chilton manual is thicker, but this doesn't indicate better, though it might be better for some things. I have a '93 SL2. People are suggesting you get the factory manual, but personally since I paid less than $2000 for the car, I'd get all the manuals I can to see the different viewpoints. Some instructions in one manual are actually a little different in the other, which helps in understanding the big picture, I think.

Meph

Reply to
Mephistopheles Jones

my opinion has chaged for the worse slightly, since im currently doign a lot of work to my car at the moment, there are quite a few things that are SO much easier to remove if you remove this other thing first, that the book does NOT tell you.... "Remove the bolts and carefully remove the timing chain cover, if it sticks use a soft faced mallet blah blah blah....." Doesnt go anywhere NEAR telling you this job is a WHOLE LOT EASIER if you and jack the engine up, remove the power steering pump and AC compressor - oh and don't forget there are 2 metal sleeves that the cover slides onto. THAT woudl have been great to know BEFORE i broke my cover off thinking it was just sticking. Seriously, i think the guys suggesting true service manuals know whats up, next time for sure! Water pump is easier with the AC compressor removed too. Book makes it sound way to easy wihtout doing much of anythign, but it fials to tell you how very little room there is to work =)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

First, Mephistopheles Jones, BE CAREFUL!!! It say's the gap for spark plugs in the Haynes Manual is supposed to be 0.60 when in reality it is 0.40.

And as far as manuals go my vote is for Chiltons. Much more detailed much eaiser to understand. just my $0.02.

Reply to
Joe