Clutch Replacement Expense on SW1 & SW2

I just spoke to the shop manager at a Saturn dealer here in town (Columbus, OH) and he said that SW1 & 2 clutches are very durable but extremely expensive to replace. He said that "you need to take the transmission apart" and quoted something like $1,300 for the job!

Is this really a typical price for clutch replacement? How about when done by a good independent mechanic?

Had anybody had experience doing the job themself?

Does anybody know if the same applies for a LS1 or LW1?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
hoza.2

They need to remove the tranny to replace the clutch but not take it apart. And I think the price is steep here in Canada I had one replaced for under $800 CDN$ with todays exchange rate that only $700 USD. I would shop around for a better deal.

Reply to
Pbadgley

Thats a dealer price? Heck thats no more if not much less than most import car dealerships.

Probably 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost.

Same engine cradle, same front end, same price.

Reply to
blah blah

The S-Series tranny doesn't need to be taken apart, or removed. A Haynes manual will tell you the engine needs to come out, but that is not the case either. I've done the clutch myself about 5 times, and here's a great writeup for the backyard mechanic to do it himself/herself in an afternoon with basic tools:

There's a thread on SaturnFans that includes this write-up here:
The last time I did it, my goal was an hour but I didn't quite make it. Sometimes it is time consuming to line up the input shaft on the trans and get it back into the clutch disc hub blind so that can take some extra time and swearing. But all-in-all, it's not a difficult job.

You can find clutches on eBay similar to stock with throwout bearing for around $100 - $125.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane