Coolant temp sensor

From a relative novice: I was replacing the coolant temperature sensor

(we don't have a Saturn dealer in town, so I picked one up from Autozone -- about $9, brass construction) in my '98 SL2 this morning. I was warned not to overtighten it, so I tried not to crank it down too hard. But when I took it out for a test drive, I heard a little hissing noise, and I figured maybe I didn't tighten it enough (although I didn't see any signs of coolant leaking out from around it). I let the engine cool down again and I went back in with my socket wrench. Tightened it some more . . . then it got easier to turn. I pushed a little more to make sure it really had changed and probably turned it about 1/2 of a turn in all. I'm guessing I stripped the threads on my brass sensor. Opinions? I assume I should get another one and put it in more gently?

I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for a minute to reset the PCM. Now my rear defogger doesn't turn on. I guess I'll check the fuse tomorrow. Do you think it's a result of my work with the CTS? Any suggestions besides the fuse?

Thanks.

Reply to
zero529

Check Radio.... Some defrosters get the timing from the radio. Bet the radio security code must be entered for the radio to work and then I bet the defroster will also,

Jerry

[...]

JJ