cooling fan

I have a '94 SL, 4 cyl. 5 speed, anyone have a problem with the cooling fan not coming on when the temp gage gets near the "red zone"? The A/C switch will kick on the fan, and I have ohmed out the wiring and the relays. All check good. Seems like the "trigger point" in the PCM is not set properly......Any ideas?

Thx.

Terry Mosley

I am not sure on a '94, but I can tell you about my '92. There are two temp sensors on the engine (head). One has 2 wires, one has 1 wire. The one wire sensor controls the gauge, and the 2 wire sensor goes to the PCM. I would replace the 2 wire sensor for good measure - part is less than $10 at Saturn. James

Reply to
James1549

Thanks for the help guys....appreciate it.

Terry Mosley

"Terry Mosley" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

The fan should kick on when the guage just barely touches the red. If it doesn't, then replace the sensor - the 2 wire one mentioned in the other post.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Just my 2 cents, I had a temp switch that failed that created the same symptoms.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

I have the same car/year with 160000 and the same problem. I was told it's a common problem and the sensor's shot.

It's been that way for about 2 years, and is never a problem as long as I'm driving and not in traffic or on a drive thru line, so I'm used to keeping my eye on it when I'm idling. When I see it start to climb I flick the a/c for a second and then off, which seems to kick the fan in. It'll shut off automatically when it cools down. It seems a hassle, but I'm not putting another $ in this car if possible now. It's been an OK car for me since I inherited it, and I'll drive it till it goes to that great junkyard in the sky, but I more or less have put it under "hospice" care at this point and try to make it comfortable in it's final days...

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

$7.99 at Autozone. 15 minute change out tops. Comes pre-treated with thread seal. Use a 13 mm deep socket -- screw old out, new in. This is a tapered pipe thread , so generally no torque is specified, just use commom sense. Gently pry wire clip from sensor. Have new sensor ready because coolant will run out after removing old sensor ( unless you drain --NOT NECESSARY). From what most mechanics tell me , 120K miles is about average life for that sensor.

Reply to
94SC2

Wow, good information. Wish I had it at the time mine failed, but I couldn't rule out the relay. :(

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Thanks for all the input.....I have changed the 2 wire sensor and the 1 wire sensor both, initially to try to fix this problem , and in the case of the 2 wire sensor, I have been changing it at the rate of once a year, ( crap replacement parts IMHO).

Anyway, I too inherited this vehicle, and like Mr.SM, I just seem to be nursing it along, keeping it going, waiting for a better day. Hell, the car has been a good one in other ways ( TWO (2) deer strikes!) and it just keeps on running.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Terry Mosley