Engine flush useful

My local Saturn dealer suggested that I have an engine flush due to buildup. What exactly is this. Probably a waste of $ but I thought I'd ask. Maybe I could do it myself if I really need it.

Reply to
Jepeddo

I think the "excessive buildup" that the dealer referenced is probably in your wallet! That said, I'm fairly certain that the procedure they are recommending will indeed accomplish the desired goal. :)

Seriously, if this is an engine oil flush, then you should not need it if you have properly maintained the vehicle and changed the oil and filter every 3K miles/3 months. I have used the "oil flush in a can" (basically a quart of kerosene that gets added to the 4 quarts already in there) prior to changing oil on a couple of vehicles I purchased with >100K miles and unknown or poor maintenance histories. They did succeed in improving the oil color so I presume they did reduced the number of deposits/sludge in the oil pan (never dropped the pan to check). But, I'd hesitate to use this type of additive with any frequency since it reduces the engine lubrication while it is in the crankcase. I'd also recommend not letting it idle more than 5 or so minutes (and do not drive it) while the flush is in the crankcase.

If it is an engine coolant (engine block/radiator/core) flush you are describing, then yes, this is desirable, but you can most certainly do this yourself fairly easily. But, it would have been best done when the weather was warmer last Fall unless you have a heated garage or live in a warm climate.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

flush due to

I thought

FWIW I once used a can of engine flush stuff in a high mileage V8. About 8,000 miles later my oil pressure low light came on while at idle. We dropped the oil pan and found globs of sludge blocking the screen to the oil pump. We then cleaned out the pan and engine areas that were accessible. About 4,000 miles later the same thing happened again. I got rid of the car. Moral of the story? Don't try to desludge your engine.

Reply to
Soars with Turkeys

I went to a Saturn Dealership for the last time for a problem with a coolant sensor. They said my car needed an engine flush do to sludge build up. At that time I only had 30k miles on it. I said no, of course. Seems everyone I know that has a Saturn has had the dealer tell them this. Load of crap if you ask me and also a load off of your wallet. I have had my oil and oil filter changed every 3 months. The engine inside is clean as a whistle. I have seen engines where the build up of sludge is terrible..........my sisters car, for one. She would have the oil changed.....like almost never. There would be almost not enough oil to take a reading off of the oil dipstick......and if you could get a reading it would be so black and thick it was ridiculous. Then I would take off the oil cap and look inside and it was of couse totally black and full of sludge. She actually had two engines replaced because she never changed the oil. This is not a knock on women........in general........just my sister. Also these were older cars when they didn`t have computers in them. You remember them days.....you had to check the timing via the timing light and also had to check the dwell of the points with a little meter. Man I wish I had my ole `70 Pontiac GTO back. One belt to drive the water pump and alternator. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

...and your '70 GTO would be worth quite a bit today!

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I've still got the '72 Dodge Demon 340 I had as a senior in high school. I figure I might be able to have it back on the road by 2015, after I get both of my kids through college! :+)

Ken

would have

enough oil

sister.

them. You

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Thats cool, what kind of shape is it in?

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Wish I would have kept the Challenger and the Mustang - who knew?!?!

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Kinda rough. It's going to need an end-to-end restoration. I haven't driven it for 20 years.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

So true......who knew? I wanted to keep my `69 GTO but was just starting out in life. Just moved out of the nest at 19 yrs. old. First real job at minimum pay. Had an apt. that cost $289 a month. That was huge back in 1977. No extra $ to keep the GTO. Now 27 years later........I have my own home, a new car, my job is now paying great. Hey I could go out and buy a GTO now. Am going to E-bay now to check on the prices and what is out there. :) Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

Has it been started in 20 years? (referring to your last line) Al

Reply to
Al Rooney

No. Motor was in need of a rebuild when I quit driving it. Then came college, marriage, kids, and a mortgage. :+)

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Sounds like a fun project!

Reply to