Funky Brake Lights

When I have my lights on (actually just the parking lights are needed) my third brake light (the top middle one) turns on. It is pretty dim and gets brighter when I press the brake but I still got pulled over once for it. Obviously i have a short somewhere but I don't know much about finding it. Is this at all common in Saturns? Mine is a 1999 SL. If it helps, I've had a few electrical brake problems. The rear left light bulb has blown out 3 times and the brake light fuse went out once for no apparent reason. Does this give any clue as to where the short is? Thanks! -Jesse

Reply to
jesse.mandel

Hi.

My guess is that you have a bad ground somewhere. DC current is a car does funny things when you have a bad ground.

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

needed)

Reply to
Paul

Has to be a grounding or relay problem. It's funny you got pulled over for it. It is against the law in ALL states to drive with only our parking lights on. Parking lights are just that, parking lights....that's why they call them that. You must have you headlights on or off when in motion. If you think you need your lights on, then turn them on.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

No, I had my lights on but since the top middle brake light was on too, it looked like I was riding my brakes, while speeding up.... This confused the hell out of a motorcycle cop who pulled me over. He didn't give me a ticket or even threaten one (maybe it isn't illegal). He did tell me it is misleading and could me dangerous though.

Anyway, any idea where to check first? Where in the circuit would the ground most likely be?

-Jesse

Reply to
jesse.mandel

Fixed it, in case anyone was wondering...it was a bad brake bulb. Well actually the wrong type of brake bulb.

Reply to
jesse.mandel