Gas cap problem??

I have a check service engine soon idiot light coming on my 2000 sl1 single cam. I thought it might be time to invest in a obd-ii code reader but I did have a co-worker suggest that the frequency of my light coming might be a gas cap problem. The light comes on and stays on when I start the car but every 4th or 5th start the light goes out ONLY to come on aging for the next

4 stops and thus the process is repeated.

He used to have a 97 tarus with the same problem and a new gas cap solved.

Any suggestions if a 97 tarus emissions system give the same idiot light sequecences as a sl1? (both are obd-ii)

Reply to
A Registered Trademark

It's pretty much impossible to predict what the code may be by when/how often the light is on. If the gas cap is obviously damaged/leaking that's a place to start, but I'd say the chances of a new one fixing the problem are low..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I have a defective gas cap( it will not stay on), and so far no lights are coming on! I am in the process of getting a locking gas cap now, but I do not understand why no trouble lights, even when the cap is completely off? Could a bad gas cap effect gas mileage? My gas mileage is really not very good. Thanks!

Reply to
WGRG3

What model year is this? Only 1996 and later will detect evaporative leakage. Also, it only runs the test under certain conditions, so if it hasn't been broken very long it may not have detected it yet.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Well I bought a new Locking Gas Cap for my L300 this weekend at my Saturn dealer. $33 for it, and it works a lot better then the original gas cap. At least you can tell it is on, after you tighten it down. And now I have a little peace of mind knowing that my Gas Tank is locked. I do not know if this will help my gas mileage any, but I am hoping it will.

Reply to
WGRG3