GMS & Saturns DRLs

"Roy" wrote in message news:9h9De.62855$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

In an earlier post I thought I made it clear I was only grumbling about US requirements. I have no problem with the people in Canada doing something different. Just becasue something works in a far northernly climate doesn't mean it is appropriate for everyone in the world. The US NHTSA conducted a semi-reasonable study of DRLs and found no statistically valid safety advantaege for DRLs in the US (and in fact some types of accidents increased for cars with DRLs). The IIHS website does reference a Candian Study of DRLs, but I can't find a copy on line (Arora, H.; Collard, D.; Robbins, G.; Welbourne, E.R.; and White, J.G. 1994. Effectiveness of daytime running lights in Canada. Report no. TP-12298. Ottawa, Ontario: Transport Canada). The IIHS claimed this study showed an 11 percent reduction in some sorts of accidents. However, there was no mention of the effect on the overall accident rate (i.e., if other sorts of accidents increased). The NHTSA Report (available at

) make interesting reading. You might also wat to read an earlier NHTSA report which conflicts somewhat with this report (available at
). In the US depending on how you spin the data you can show a significant reduction in accidents, no net reduction, or an increase in certain type of accidents. Results from other studies are also referenced. Best I can tell, the people conductiong these studies (for the most part) were out to prove DRLs were effective and analysed the data in the most favorable light. Not good science.

- This site (a pro-DRL site) summarizes some studies (with a positive spin) -

Good pro-DRL Europena site (results probably apply to Canada, but not necessarily the US) -
They estimate a cost benefit ratio for DRLs, but since it is based on northernly countries, it is possible (even likely) the cost benefit ration for the US would not be attractive (less than 1).- This site has a summary of pro and con arguements (well some of them) -
Rabid anti-DRL Site -
Another anti-DRL Site -
anti-DRL Site -
An Autoweek Fourm on DRLs -
Other references:
;
I don't have any compalints about Canada requiring DRLs. I think they are not as effective in the US, particualrly in the Southern US, and I don't want the US government making them a requirement.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I was not making a statement FOR or AGAINST the use of one's head lamps to alert other driver's of their presence. I think there are valid reasons for using the lights during appropriate situations. I was stating the simple fact that DRLs consume fuel and can remove the need to think (this can be a dangerous thing). In my opinion this should be left to the driver to decide and that is just one more reason I do not generally purchase GM products. (My son's Saturn is why I am in this newsgroup, and it has provided wonderful service and has been an excellent vehicle - I am not bashing GM or Saturn so please no flames!)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I was not making a statement FOR or AGAINST the use of one's head lamps to alert other driver's of their presence. I think there are valid reasons for using the lights during appropriate situations. I was stating the simple fact that DRLs consume fuel and can remove the need to think (this can be a dangerous thing). In my opinion this should be left to the driver to decide and that is just one more reason I do not generally purchase GM products. (My son's Saturn is why I am in this newsgroup, and it has provided wonderful service and has been an excellent vehicle - I am not bashing GM or Saturn so please no flames!)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

DRL's are hardly a reason not to buy anything. They can be disabled painlessly. All it took was unpluging a resistor on my Bonneville. Using the front parking lamps that are as bright as the ones that were on the Vettes and Firebirds would be an acceptable standard IMO.

Reply to
blah blah