Head Gasket/Oil Pan

My 95 SL II, 150,000 kms, is leaking oil. I had it checked and was told the oil pan (rusted out) and head gasket would need replacing, and probably not worth it given the age of the car. The main pain to me is the mess the leaking oil is making in the driveway. I was planning of selling the car and getting another within the next six months. Question: If I don't have the head gasket and oil pan replaced what can I expect. Right now I just watch the oil level and add some if needed? Would it be worth it to have the replacements made given the age and kms on the car? I really need the car (cannot replace it) for at least the next 3 months. How can I guess how much longer the car will run without the repairs? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Mat

I dont know how much salting they do up there but I've never heard of a oil pan rusting out. Usually the pan gasket seeps near the transmission. Hose out the underside and look at it yourself because I think the shop you took it to is full of it. Or you never washed it...

In the Mid to Lower US states, 93,210 miles is nothing if the car was cared for. In Michigan everything rots out in about 10 years if it isnt kept washed underneath.

Reply to
Blah Blah

That shop was trying to get into your wallet. Oil leaks can't be caused by a head gasket. It's "prolly" the valve cover leaking. U.S. automakers are notorious for not using gaskets at all on valve covers & oil pans. They opted to "glue' them on with Permatex instead, to save a few bucks. Try (snugging) up the valve cover bolts...if the leak lessens, you found the problem. If the leak persists, try the same with the oil pan bolts. Do one at a time so you'll know which is the culprit. I'd stay away from that shop if I were you. Hope this helps.

Reply to
David