oil pan gasket

i would like to put in a new oil pan gasket but the exhaust is in the way and if i try to take it off the bolts will just snap on me, any ideas

Reply to
lowdown

What model and it's VERY rare for an oil pan to leak. None of the newer models even use a "gasket" at all. More likely something higher up is leaking and running down onto the pan making it appear like it's leaking.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
lowdown

There is no pan gasket on this car to replace and I doubt the RTV sealant they use there has failed.

Comon problem is the front timing cover leaking at the oil pump O-ring, which is a major PITA the replace. You have to pull the pan and the timing cover to get to this seal. If it's wet on the front (passenger) side of the pan, that's the problem, unless of course it's just the front crankshaft seal? Also the valve covers are also bad about leaking.

My point is, it's not the oil pan "gasket" leaking as there isn't one.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
lowdown