hesitation on acceleration

My Saturn is starting to hesitate mostly on acceleration. I not mechanically inclined and my husband is away. Is there a simple solution or do I take it to a shop.

Reply to
sinkit

Sinkit,

Basic information would increase the likelihood of a useful or informative response. Year, make, model, mileage, maintenance history, and a better description of "hesitate, as well as any other symptoms would be starters before venturing an "educated" guess.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Please give more information make/model/year/mileage. Also, are there any other symptoms(shaking, noises, etc). Also do you have unnecessary loads in the car(truck full of spare tires, etc).

Just a quick observation with my saturn/SL2/97/64k it is very peppy with only the driver. Add a passenger, slower. My wifey and I add up to some of my friends' individual weights,I can't imagine filing the car with them and see the car strain. Geez......

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

And, how long will your husband be away?

Reply to
Box134

With a name like sinkit and your stating that your husband is away I have to ask, where are you? ;+)>

Reply to
Napalm Heart

"Roy" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

good advice.

Then start

waste of money

(assuming you don't already, if you do maybe you

possibly good idea

unless you've done some significant internal engine work (shaved head, etc.), going to "premium" (higher octane) fuel is a total waste of money. If you've recently filled up with gas from a station you don't normally use, don't go back there.

I usually put in a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner every other oil change. And if you have a '96, be sure to clean your throttle body once a year.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Mainly because your owner's manual states that you should run the lower octane, as the engine is optimized for it. In addition, premium higher-octane fuel will only provide a performance or power benefit in a car whose computer is able to advance the timing to utilize it. S-Series Saturns do not have this ability.

I've read somewhere that continual high-octane use may contribute to a higher rate of carbon build-up in the combustion chambers and on the valves. And by using it in a car that didn't need high octane fuel in the first place, eventually does make the car need it in order to run properly (due to that carbon build-up caused by it). I'm not sure how true this is. If anyone feels curious and finds any links to information on the subject, please post them here.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

"Lane" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

What he said. Sorry - I've been busy recovering from the SPC's 1st race of the year with our ITA '94 SC2, and getting my car ready for a lapping day this weekend.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller