How Bad Before the Rings Go?

How bad does the engine oil burn get before a ring goes south beyond daily use?

I've oil-fouled a plug once. It burns almost a quart per 1,000 miles on average - depending on if I'm traveling or commuting in traffic, etc.

I'm trying to decide whether I keep it and drive as-is for a while, keep it and fix it, or sell it ASAP to get a newer car.

1995 SL1 if it matters - 154,000 miles.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

I've got a friend that has been driving a car for years that requires adding a quart every couple hundred miles. A quart per thousand isn't that bad by comparison. Just be sure you watch that oil level and don't forget about it. Have you checked your PCV valve? If they get gunked up, owners have reported that they contribute to oil consumption.

If you consider attempting to "fix" the problem by tearing apart the motor, consider this -

Replacing oil control rings or valve guides to try to reduce consumption is expensive and doesn't guarantee the problem will be solved. What is cheaper - spending a buck every thousand miles to keep the oil level where it should be, or paying to rebuild the motor (~ $2000 likely) which may or may not resovle the problem? I know which I'll choose.

I don't know that you should feel the need to sell it, if you're making the assumption that oil consumption means that something very bad is going to happen soon because of it. Lots of owners report burning oil for the life of the vehicle with no other issues. If that is the case, and if it is not quickly getting progressively worse, I'd keep it. A car that's paid for sure beats starting the cycle over again with another 5 years of payments...

Have you tried the 'stuck ring' fix described in the forums at

Many have reported success in reducing oil consumption with that method. Run a search and you're sure to come across it.

Good luck, Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Lane, would you try the stuck ring fix if it was losing a quart every 500 miles? Just curious.

Reply to
CBrooks

Is their car a Saturn with the same engine as mine? Mine went from a quart every 3,000 miles to a quart or so every 1,000 miles in the past two years. Seeing as I commute 70 miles round trip daily on NJ's finest highways (i.e. stop and go from time to time) I'm a bit worried that I'll snap a ring sooner or later and be stuck out there with a big bill, plus an unplanned replacement cost.

Agreed. I found the car 2 quarts low yesterday after a long trip. Previously, the engine didn't eat oil on long, cruise-control moderated trips, only the stop-and-go. That's part of my new worries.

Changed it when we found the fouled plug three weeks ago.

I'll gladly throw oil in every so often IF, and only if I know that the rings or something else isn't about to let go and leave me stranded on a highway, or worse - without a vehicle.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't plan on paying much for my next car. Again, oil consumption doesn't worry me, it's the concept of being vehicle-less. The next car I've got lined up is a newer "W2(?)" Saturn station wagon. Family owned, 50,000 miles and the perfect cost for me if I choose to go that route. Breaks my heart that I'll be loosing the stick shift though.

I've tried most of it. If this is the "remove the plug, fill the cyl with "stuff" and let sit, blow out, etc" method, then I've basically done that My consumption went up slightly after a very aggressive treatment close to that so I was leery about taking the plunge. Maybe this weekend...

Reply to
Joe

Might make it worse. There is a few things that can help a lot here. One is to stop using 5w30 oil now as it can run right through a loose engine. Use 10w30 minimum year round now. If it is hot in summer use

15w40 (never 10w40 because the high VI content can make things worse) and last if you are still have problems with plugs fouling after this, use a old trick that can work well. Install a plug that is a few heat ranges hotter in the place of one fouling as it will help keep it clean enough to fire.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I've never seen compression or oil rings on a Saturn "snap". The oil rings will stick but that is the extent of it.

Reply to
BläBlä

If you're talking about the marvel mystery oil thing on saturnfans.com, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. It's quicker and easier than any alternative that requires tearing into the motor.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I would agree. For the poster who has now referred to snapping a ring more than once - can you provide the basis for your thinking that your Saturn will do this? I've never heard of it occurring in a Saturn motor. Owners usually report severely gunked-up/frozen oil control rings upon motor teardown.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

That's me... I figure the only logical progression when the oil burn gets worse and worse is for something to cause a loss in compression sooner or later. I typed "snap a ring" or something similar, but what I mean is "become undrivable legally, safely, etc."

Reply to
Joe