SL1 Clutch Goes Bad How?

When it finally goes (I have 160,000 mi. on original...) does it go with gradual slippage like most cars or just simply disappear like some of the newer self-adjusting ones?

Anyone get more than 160,000 on an original clutch?

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Help Cure Cancer:

Joe

I had 180,000 miles on my '93 SL2 when the clutch went out. (I am imagining the SL1 woudl be similar). My mechanic found this amazing especially in the light my 2 daughters learned to drive on this car. When it went, it went quickly - from the time we first felt slippage to the time it became unbearable was under 500 miles.

Terry

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

Ick. Thank you for the response... I hope mine lasts longer / goes from noticeable to bad slower than that.

I guess I'll start getting estimates now. :(

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Help Cure Cancer:

Joe

Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering the same thing. I actually attempted to get my clutch replaced a couple of times in the last few years because I figured it MUST need it - and I'd rather schedule the replacement rather than have it thrust upon me at some inconvenient time. But my mechanic insists that it's just fine. 160K on my '95 SL2, and I drove it in San Francisco for a few years - amazing.

- C

Reply to
OtterQueen

{snip}

{snip}

{snip}

My 97 SL2 has 177,777 miles on the original clutch. Of course, the first

100k or so was all highway driving - didn't get my first brakes until 93k.

Jim

Reply to
kd1yv8