Humming Tires 2,I Can't Take It!

I don't see any improvement on the sound,i've pissed around with the air pressure,still sounds the same,I didn't hear that set of tires (then on the rear), make all that racket before they went up front,wonder if the warrenty is still good,this tires suck.I just got back from Penna,i live near akron oh.,i can't describe the situation while driving an interstate & hearing the hum,in a way,i was hoping for a blow out,then.i'd know something was wrong.

Reply to
teem

Once they start making a racket you're screwed.

I skimmed through these posts and don't see reference to tire brand/model.

I had some soft Bridgestones that howled at freeway speeds. The noise started at about 8-9k of wear - they were cupped and there was nothing to do. Well, maybe I could of had them shaved (have fun finding a shop that will do that), but I just put up with them until the were wore enough to replace.

Try doing s search on tire rack and see if other customers have noise issues as well. And you can start searching for replacement tires that will be potentially quiet through their whole life.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I had some tires on the Saturn that also drove me crazy. My tire dealer suggested a really softer rubber but the trade off would be less wear and more money for them. He put some Goodyear 'something's on it which did last about half the mileage of Michelin's but were far more quiet which were a harder tire compound.

Now if I need to go out of town I wear foam earplugs or sometimes some in-ear phones and listen to audio books. Gets rid of all the damn road and tire noise and I feel a lot less fatigue arriving there.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I bet they cross rotated the tires ,if thats the case you might try swaping front 2 tires, then they should be turning the same direction they were before they rotated them!

Reply to
justastreekin

I can't see in the posts what model/year of Saturn or tire type you have. There is a TSB/recall for older L Series vehicles regarding irregular wear on the rears due to the rear suspension. The fix required a spacer on the rear to allow sufficient alignment and will replace irregularly worn tires. Before I had the repair on my 2002 LW300, my tires would howl after rotating due to cupping/feathering of the rear tires being put on the front.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
teem

Had a very similar problem with Contis on a Pontiac Vibe -- rears were cupped due to poor rear alignment -- sounded like '60s snow tires.

As earlier suggested, shaving was a possibility, but I decided to toss them and replace with better, after having the dealer straighten out the rear (though I was told by the tire guy that the basic geometry and bushings were poor and this was VERY common on Vibe, Matrix and Corolla (the chassis used for the 1st two), as well as several other fwd cars he didn't name)

Doubt that crossing them over will help, but it's worth a try I suppose

Reply to
Chris