New Tires

I have a 2000 GT with 39000 miles and the stock Goodyear tires. I am hoping to get a few more months out of them before the rain starts. (San Diego)

My question is whether to bite the bullet and lay out $1200.00 for the same tires or is there a better, and cheaper replacement?

Gene

Reply to
<gsawyerjr

I happen to like the Goodyear tires.....However, you must ask yourself whether or not you truly need the "Z" rated ones, or if a simple "H" or "S" Rated Goodyear tire is better suited for your driving style. Also, are there cheaper tires, sure, but once again, you need to evaluate your own driving style and needs before buying a replacement set...............Finally, if you have 39,000 miles on a set of the original Goodyear's, bite the bullet now and replace them............NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill S.

Bill S.

I was quoted $260/tire, or $980/set, and that was with my company discount at the tire place. If you can get better than that, I'd be interested in hearing this, also.

Reply to
Ken and Amy Andrews

For $1200.00 I got, BFG G-Forces (275/40/17) from here

+ I got four 03 Cobra rims(9" wide) off E-Bay

Reply to
GILL

Firestone Firehawks for around $190 each (last I bought some which was over

2 yrs ago) Bridgestone Potenzas for a bit less (more recent purchase to save a bit o' cash) Both of these are Z rated and VERY good in the wet (and yes dry too). I've gone thru a full set of each of these with amazing results. The car STICKS. They also both have a long tread life for such sticky, high performance tires.

My question is whether to bite the bullet and lay out $1200.00 for the same tires or is there a better, and cheaper replacement?

Gene

Reply to
Scotter

You and do much better for a lot less money. Check out Kuhmo's and the amazing Bridgestone Potenza's. I'm running the Potenza 730's. They are a great value for a Z-rated high-performance tire, and work MUCH better than the Goodyears you now have.

Some will recommend putting lower speed rated tires on Mustangs to save a buck. I do not share this opinion. OEM fittaments are closely matched to both suspension and speed characteristics of that particular vehicle. Consider the OEM speed rating and tire size a MINIMUM when shopping for tire replacements.

------------ Recommended:

------------

Drag racing/ultra high street performance: Nitto 555's

Commuting on a budget: Kuhmo Ecsta's

Canyon Carving: Bridgestone Potenza's

There are many others that work also work well, however I have found these tires to be the best overall value for their intended purpose.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

Kumho or Nitto.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Kate is right, I also have the kuhmos 245/45/17 they handle awesome I can take some real high speed corners and they give you full confidence.

\Verticalrich

95 GT vert

Reply to
Verticalrich

I totally agree, Scotter! I recently (couple months ago) purchased Firehawks and could not be any happier with their performance. Yes, they STICK in the corners, are VERY grippy in the rain, and are absolutely dead silent on the highway. I've owned, Goodyears, Goodrich, Dunlops, Parallis, Nittos, Yokohamas, and none measure up to these Firehawks.

I love these tires!!

Patrick '93 Cobra (Firehawk Equipped)

Reply to
Patrick

Mustangs came with Goodyears back in 90 too, when I got my car new. When those wore out I replaced them with Michelins. The Goodyears didn't last nearly as long as they were rated, and I've heard this is a common problem with them. Otherwise they rode well, and worked good on the car. The Michelins were good too, but when it came time to replace again I also wanted to change wheels. Michelins were too pricey for me to do both, so I opted for the Kumho (sp?) Z-rated tires. I've had them for several years now (don't put many miles at a time) and they've worked out very well. A bargain too. BTW, as seems to be the consensus of all replies, you can surely find better than $1200 for 4 tires. I got 235/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 out back, on replica Cobra 17x9 wheels....all for under $1200. This included everything and driving out. It was at Discount Tire Co. Best of luck with your quest!

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Wonder if they changed them - I had them on the LX about 5 years ago and I hated them. Way too hard, almost like a regular passenger car tire. Went to Dunlops afterwards, and they were great.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 5.9 Dakota R/T CC Gold '96 MPV Shoebox

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Joe

Same question. Factory gatorbacks? Or something else? Let me know, and in

245/45/17 correct? Gagan
Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

Mount and balance at a Wally World is about 10 bucks. They do a pretty decent job...

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

Kumho Supras. The local 5.0 shop swears by them... Apparently they have good grip in wet or dry, long(er) tread life and are Z rated for much cheaper than most other performance tires. Retail here is $120US a tire.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Goto

and you'll see lots of options and information to refine what you want out of a tire. I just got yokohama AVS ES100s for the '97 GT and so far they've been quite good, evenin tonight's downpour. $118 per tire I think.

Reply to
Brent P

FWIW the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 245/45ZR17 are actually W rated. I have been very pleased with them. Not that great at the strip though. Can't keep them from smoking through that critical first 60'.

Reply to
Richard

I've been considering putting Kuhmos Ecsta MX's on my 94GT. Which model are you guys running?

Rob

94 GT
Reply to
Robert Fleming

I've got Firestone Firhawk SZ50 EP's on my 90 GT and love them. I just changed to them from older SZ50's (No EP) which I love as well.. They stick well and are great in the rain

Reply to
Eric

Joe,

I had a set of Firehawks on my old LX back in the early 90's. I hated them too. Then with the recent press about the Firestone tires being the possible cause for the Explorer rollovers, the Firehawks were not even on new-tire shopping list. But when I got serious about buying new tires to replace my aging Goodyear GSCs (horrible tires, BTW), I checked out the Tire Rack's review guide and found the new Firehawks rated as one of the best performance tires available. Needless to say I was shocked! So I took a chance and gave the Firehawks a second chance. All I can say is the ratings are correct... the new Firehawks are awesome tires!! (I'm even tempted to sell my drag radials because these things have so much stick.) So far they are, without a doubt, the best tires I have ever owned.

If you're in the market for new tires, check out the Firehawks.

Patrick '93 Cobra (Firehawk equipped)

Reply to
Patrick

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.